Engineering Math Physics degree?

In summary, the individual is struggling with deciding which degree to pursue - electrical engineering, math, or physics. They have been back in school since 2008 and originally planned on pursuing a bachelors in electrical engineering, but have found a new love for math. They are about to begin Calculus 3 and differential equations and need to fully commit to a degree path by the spring semester. They plan on pursuing a graduate degree in one of these areas and are looking for suggestions, thoughts, and opinions. The advice given is to not stress too much and to take classes that are interesting, as well as getting involved in undergraduate research. The conversation ends with a suggestion to consider what the individual wants their degree to prepare them for, with
dirt
Hello everyone,
This is my first post.
My problem is that I'm getting terribly frustrated trying to decide which degree to pursue?
Everyday I change between electrical engineering, math, or physics. I have been back in school since spring '08. And my original intention was to pursue a bachelors in Electrical Engineering. However, a degree in math or physics also seems like an interesting possibility. They definitely don't seem easier but I would probably be able to graduate quicker in math or physics than in engineering. But since getting back in school I have found a new love of math I didn't know I had. I'm about to begin Calculus 3 and differential equations in the fall. And I really need to decide and fully commit to a degree path by the spring semester. Also when I graduate I plan on pursuing a graduate degree in one of those 3 areas. Anyway I'm just looking for some suggestions, thoughts, and opinions.
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Don't stress it too much on deciding your major. Take classes you think are interesting. A big suggestion is to get involved in research as an undergraduate. This will help you tremendously. From this point you can better see what graduate program and field you want to go into. All three of your choices are similar enough that jumping ships for a masters is possible.

Your post is a little too ambiguous to give specific advice. Since I'm in physics, and physics is on the list, I'm going to go with "you should do physics." If you want a better answer, you need to consider what you want it to prepare you for.

1. What is an Engineering Math Physics degree?

An Engineering Math Physics degree is an interdisciplinary program that combines the principles of engineering, mathematics, and physics. It provides students with a strong foundation in these three fields and prepares them for careers in various industries such as aerospace, energy, and technology.

2. What courses are typically included in an Engineering Math Physics degree?

Courses in an Engineering Math Physics degree typically include topics such as calculus, differential equations, mechanics, electromagnetism, thermodynamics, and materials science. Students may also have the opportunity to choose electives in areas such as robotics, computer programming, and nanotechnology.

3. What skills can I gain from pursuing an Engineering Math Physics degree?

By pursuing an Engineering Math Physics degree, you can gain a wide range of skills including problem-solving, critical thinking, data analysis, and technical expertise. You will also develop strong mathematical and scientific foundations, as well as practical skills in designing and analyzing complex systems.

4. What career opportunities are available for graduates with an Engineering Math Physics degree?

Graduates with an Engineering Math Physics degree have a diverse range of career opportunities in industries such as aerospace, energy, telecommunications, and manufacturing. Some common job titles include mechanical engineer, electrical engineer, systems analyst, and research scientist.

5. What makes an Engineering Math Physics degree different from a traditional engineering degree?

An Engineering Math Physics degree differs from a traditional engineering degree in that it combines the fundamentals of engineering with advanced mathematical and physical concepts. This interdisciplinary approach allows students to gain a deeper understanding of complex systems and prepares them for a wider range of career opportunities.