How can I assign a derivative in Mathematica using D-notation?

In summary, Mathematica assign derivative is a function in the Mathematica software that allows you to assign a derivative to a variable or function. It can be used with the syntax "variable' = D[expression, variable]" or "function' = D[function, variable]". You can also assign a derivative to a specific point using the syntax "variable' = D[expression, variable] /. variable -> x". However, it has limitations, as it only works for differentiable expressions and may not be able to simplify complex expressions. It is also possible to assign a derivative to multiple variables using the syntax "function' = D[function, {variable1, variable2, ...}]" or "variable' = D[expression
daudaudaudau
Hi. A quick mathematica question. If I compute a derivative using D[f[x],x], how can I assign this result to another function, e.g. I want g[x]=f'[x] using the D-notation. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
This what you mean?

In[1]:= j = x^2

Out[1]= x^2

In[2]:= e = D[j, x]

Out[2]= 2 x

In[3]:= f = D[e, x]

Out[3]= 2

In[4]:= ff = D[f, x]

Out[4]= 0

g[x_] = D[f[x], x]

Note the underscore in g[x_].

(Alternatively, you could just do g = f')

What is Mathematica assign derivative?

Mathematica assign derivative is a function in the Mathematica software that allows you to assign a derivative to a variable or a function. This is useful when you want to take the derivative of a complicated expression and assign it to a new variable for further use.

How do I use Mathematica assign derivative?

To use Mathematica assign derivative, you can use the syntax "variable' = D[expression, variable]" or "function' = D[function, variable]". This will assign the derivative of the expression or function with respect to the variable to the new variable or function.

Can I assign a derivative to a specific point using Mathematica assign derivative?

Yes, you can use the syntax "variable' = D[expression, variable] /. variable -> x" to assign the derivative of the expression at a specific point x. This is useful for finding the value of the derivative at a given point.

Are there any limitations to using Mathematica assign derivative?

One limitation of using Mathematica assign derivative is that it only works for expressions or functions that are differentiable. If the expression or function is not differentiable, Mathematica will return an error. Additionally, Mathematica may not be able to simplify the derivative if the expression is too complex.

Can I assign a derivative to multiple variables using Mathematica assign derivative?

Yes, you can assign a derivative to multiple variables by using the syntax "function' = D[function, {variable1, variable2, ...}]" or "variable' = D[expression, {variable1, variable2, ...}]". This will assign the partial derivative of the function or expression with respect to each variable to the new function or variable.