Continuity and compactness

• Thread starter math8
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Continuity
In summary, the metric space X is compact if and only if the function f is continuous and has a compact subset G(f).
math8
X, Y metric spaces. f:X-->Y and X is compact.
How do I prove that f is continuous if and only if G(f)={(x,f(x)):x in X} C X x Y is compact.

I think for the forward direction, since f is continuous and X is compact, then f(X) is compact. Hence, G(f)=X x f(X) is compact as a cross product of compact sets.

But for the backward direction, I am totally lost.

Physics news on Phys.org
compactness and continuity

X, Y metric spaces. f:X-->Y and X is compact.
How do I prove that f is continuous if and only if G(f)={(x,f(x)):x in X} C X x Y is compact.

I think for the forward direction, since f is continuous and X is compact, then f(X) is compact. Hence, G(f)=X x f(X) is compact as a cross product of compact sets.

But for the backward direction, I am totally lost.

compactness in metric space is equivalent to sequential compactness, namely that every infinite sequence has a subsequence that converges. Further, continuity in a metric space is equivalent to limit point continuity, namely that for any x_n -> x, f(x_n)-> x (this is true for any first countable space).

relating these two qualities should give you what you want. (also note that convergences in the product topology means each coordinate converges separately).

see my comments in the other thread. It's not a good idea to post in two separate forums in general.

So since X is compact, we have that X is seq. compact. So every seq in X has a subseq. which converges in X.
Now we let (xn) be a sequence in X. Hence (xn, f(xn)) is a seq. in G(f). Let xn converges to x. so any subsequence (xnk) of (xn) converges to x.
Now, since G(f) is sequentially compact, there is a subsequence (xnk, f(xnk)) which converges to (x, y) in G(f). So since (x, y) is in G(f), y=f(x). So (xnk, f(xnk)) --> (x, f(x)).
So f(xnk) --> f(x).
Now we show f(xn)-->f(x). That's where I am not sure how to argue this, should I say by way of a contradiction, assuming that f(xn) does not converge to f(x), then there exists an epsilon positive such that d(f(xn),f(x)) greater than epsilon for infinitely many n.
But since f(xnk) --> f(x), there exists an N s.t. for all k>N, d(f(xnk),f(x))<epsilon. (i.e. d(f(xnk),f(x))<epsilon for all but finitely many k) But this is a specific subsequence, so it does not work for all subsequences :((. Would that give me the contradiction I need? What am I missing?

I know, it was mistake, I realized that I posted the other one in the algebra section, that's why I decided to repost this one in the analysis section.

I've merged the other thread into this one.

You pretty much have most of it down. However, you didn't exploit the property of a graph enough to complete the proof. Namely that for every x, there can only be one point, (x,f(x)).

Now, fix another subsequence (x_nj, f(x_nj)) that doesn't converge (edit: it should be epsilon away from) to (x, f(x)). If it is infinite, then it's got to have a subsequence that converges to something else. However, this convergence violates the fact I mentioned above.

Last edited:
well basically, that isn the graph of f, and the graph of f is bijectively equivalent to th domain of f. so presumab;y, the map X-->XxY taking x to (x,f(x)) is continuousn iff f is, and it takes X then homeomorphically to the graph of f, which should imply graph f is compact also.

so the harder part is to show if graphf is compact then that map is continuous.

lets see, i guess the map f is essentially the same as the projection from garaphf onto the target space Y, so if graph f is compact then that projection takes, hmmm,i don't see it immediately,...

oh i se it. it boils down to showing the map taking x to (x,f(x)) is continuous, i.e. the pullback of ma clsoed set is clsoed. but a closed set in a compact set (the graph) is compact, so its projection down to X, which is also its pullback, is also compact, hence closed. so we are done.

1. What is continuity?

Continuity is a fundamental concept in mathematics that refers to the smoothness or connectedness of a function. A function is considered continuous if there are no sudden jumps or breaks in its graph.

2. How is continuity defined mathematically?

A function f(x) is continuous at a point c if the limit of f(x) as x approaches c is equal to f(c). In other words, the value of the function at c is equal to the value of the limit at c.

3. What is the difference between pointwise and uniform continuity?

Pointwise continuity refers to the continuity of a function at individual points, while uniform continuity refers to the continuity of a function over an entire interval. Pointwise continuity can vary at different points, but uniform continuity guarantees that the function will not have any sudden changes over the entire interval.

4. What does it mean for a set to be compact?

A compact set is a set that is closed (containing all its boundary points) and bounded (contained within a finite distance). This means that the set is finite and does not have any gaps or breaks.

5. How is compactness related to continuity?

In general, continuous functions preserve compactness. This means that if a set is compact, its image under a continuous function will also be compact. Additionally, continuous functions on compact sets are uniformly continuous, which ensures that there are no sudden changes in the function's values over the entire set.