Learn Fortran in Linux: Step-by-Step Guide

In summary, the conversation is about the transition from using Fortran on Windows to Fortran on Mandriva Linux. The individual is seeking advice on how to work with Fortran on Linux and is recommended to use the VI editor and g95 compiler, which are both free and have syntax highlighting capabilities. Other free options for an IDE include SunStudio, Anjuta, Geany, and KDevelop. However, for classwork, the recommended tools are sufficient.
marden
Hello,

I used to do schoolwork in Fortran (Compaq Windows version).
Couple weeks ago I decided to say "good-bye" to Windows and installed Mandriva Linux.

But now I'm quiet confused how program work in work. I see that nolonger I don't have beautiful white window to write program text or..?
Does anyone who explain to me how Fortran work in Linux. Which free or not-free Fortran program does exist? Where I write the program text and so on...I feel very miserable

Best wishes,
Marden in Estonia

Technology news on Phys.org
I personally use VI editor (which supports syntax highlighting) and g95, which is a free, open-source compiler. You might also need Make, which is a utility which can help build the executable.

If you want a cool looking free IDE to work on your code might want to try SunStudio, Anjuta, Geany, KDevelop for example. And most text editing tools in Linux have code highlighting properties.

minger said:
I personally use VI editor (which supports syntax highlighting) and g95, which is a free, open-source compiler. You might also need Make, which is a utility which can help build the executable.

This is my advice. If you were doing HPC stuff, there are better compilers but for classwork this is your best bet. Free and effective.

1. What is Fortran and why is it used?

Fortran is a high-level programming language designed for scientific and engineering applications. It is commonly used for solving complex mathematical and scientific problems, as well as for developing efficient and reliable code for scientific simulations and data analysis.

2. Can I learn Fortran on Linux even if I have no prior programming experience?

Yes, you can learn Fortran on Linux even if you have no prior programming experience. However, it is recommended to have a basic understanding of programming concepts and syntax before diving into Fortran. Additionally, having a basic knowledge of Linux command line interface will also be helpful.

3. What are the benefits of using Fortran on Linux?

Using Fortran on Linux can offer several benefits, such as better performance and efficiency due to its optimized code execution on the Linux operating system. Additionally, it allows for easier integration with other programming languages and libraries commonly used in scientific computing.

4. How do I set up a Fortran development environment on Linux?

The steps for setting up a Fortran development environment on Linux will vary depending on your specific Linux distribution. However, the general steps include installing a Fortran compiler, a text editor or integrated development environment (IDE), and any necessary libraries. You can find detailed instructions for your specific Linux distribution online.

5. Are there any online resources available for learning Fortran on Linux?

Yes, there are several online resources available for learning Fortran on Linux, including tutorials, forums, and documentation. Some popular resources include the official Fortran website, online courses, and YouTube tutorials. Additionally, many Linux forums and communities also offer support and resources for learning Fortran on Linux.