Orientation of 8-Pin IC Without Notch: Help Needed

In summary, the conversation discusses the confusion over the orientation of an 8-pin IC without a notch. The schematic and datasheet indicate the orientation using a notch, but the chip only has a dot on the top surface. The group determines that the dot is pin 1 and the rest of the pins can be counted counterclockwise from there. It is also mentioned that the dot may be a newer version of the notch and should not affect the orientation.
IHateMayonnaise
Hello!

I have an 8-pin IC that does NOT have a notch in it, and I'm a bit confused on the orientation. The schematic I'm using specifies the orientation using a notch, as does the datasheet from the manufacturer. So, as you can see, I'm in a bit of a pickle. The chip does have a dot on the top surface, as indicated in the attached image (the chip text info orientation is preserved). However, since the schematic lacks this detail, this really doesn't help me. Plus, I've always used the notch, I don't even know if the dot/text is a reliable determinate of orientation.

Anyone know which way this goes? Thanks yall

IHateMayonnaise

Attachments

• chip.jpg
    chip.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 741
Engineering news on Phys.org
The dot generally marks pin 1

The dot is pin 1. Count pin numbers up from pin 1 in a counter-clockwise fashion, so pin 8 is in the upper-right corner in your drawing.

IHateMayonnaise said:
Hello!

I have an 8-pin IC that does NOT have a notch in it, and I'm a bit confused on the orientation. The schematic I'm using specifies the orientation using a notch, as does the datasheet from the manufacturer. So, as you can see, I'm in a bit of a pickle. The chip does have a dot on the top surface, as indicated in the attached image (the chip text info orientation is preserved). However, since the schematic lacks this detail, this really doesn't help me. Plus, I've always used the notch, I don't even know if the dot/text is a reliable determinate of orientation.

The end with the little circle is the same end as the notch (in my experience). Why? They probably switched suppliers of the actual IC casing from the ones with the little circles to the ones with the little notch. Shouldn't really make a difference.

IHateMayonnaise said:
Anyone know which way this goes? Thanks yall

IHateMayonnaise

I believe that's y'all ;-)

Dot is pin 1. Count exactly like Berkeman said.

thanks y'all!

1. What is an 8-Pin IC without a notch?

An 8-Pin IC without a notch is a type of integrated circuit that has eight pins for connecting to a circuit board, but does not have a notch or indentation on one side to indicate the orientation of the chip.

2. Why is it important to know the orientation of an 8-Pin IC without a notch?

Knowing the orientation of an 8-Pin IC without a notch is important because connecting it incorrectly to a circuit board can cause the chip to malfunction or even damage the entire circuit.

3. How can I determine the orientation of an 8-Pin IC without a notch?

You can determine the orientation of an 8-Pin IC without a notch by looking for markings on the chip itself or referring to the datasheet for the specific IC. You can also use a continuity tester to identify the correct orientation of the pins.

4. Can I use a notchless 8-Pin IC in place of a notched one?

Yes, you can use a notchless 8-Pin IC in place of a notched one as long as the pinout and specifications are the same. However, it is important to pay attention to the orientation to ensure proper functioning of the chip.

5. Are there any tools or techniques that can help with orienting an 8-Pin IC without a notch?

Yes, there are tools such as IC orientation markers or notch finders that can help with orienting an 8-Pin IC without a notch. You can also use a magnifying glass to carefully examine the markings on the chip to determine the correct orientation.