Want to Program a 555 Timer? Here's What You Need!

In summary: I was just looking for advice. I know what a 555 timer is and I know what the oscillator you're talking about. I think you might be mistaken, sorry for the confusion.
xboxmodandrep
Hi guys I want to learn how to program a 555 timer. I searched google and there doesn't seem to be any sort of tutorials or good info for a beginner to get started I don't even know what equipment I would need to do it. I want to program a 555 timer for 15 pulses per second so I can make rapidfire controllers for the xbox 360 without paying for kits with preprogrammed timers on ebay. So what I want to know is:

what equipment do I need?
is there specific software I need?
tips to get started

Thanks in advance for any help this was one of the only sites I found that seemed like it might provide some insight.

Engineering news on Phys.org
So there is no plugging into some programming device and using a pc to reflash some hex thing on the chip? I was skeptical see the guys selling the kits on ebay were saying that their chips were pre-programmed so I assumed a standard 555 timer would not work.

Thanks for replying I've been refreshing every few minutes just waiting I am excited to build these things I love soldering ;)

xboxmodandrep said:
So there is no plugging into some programming device and using a pc to reflash some hex thing on the chip? I was skeptical see the guys selling the kits on ebay were saying that their chips were pre-programmed so I assumed a standard 555 timer would not work.

Thanks for replying I've been refreshing every few minutes just waiting I am excited to build these things I love soldering ;)

You might be thinking of programmable crystal oscillators.

http://electronicdesign.com/Articles/Index.cfm?ArticleID=4371

http://www.doveonline.com/programmable-oscillator/programmable-oscillator-default.php

Last edited by a moderator:
No, look at the part number, 12F683. That's a MicroChip (PIC) part number. It's a microprocessor not a 555.

why would you think that's got anything to do with a 555? you just here to represent your xbox modifications website?

Why does someone always have to butt in with no intentions of lending support or advice and assume that people are up to no good, If I was here to represent I would have done so not put on some front about needing help. I honestly thought that was a 555 timer just programmed somehow sorry for my ignorance. Just my opinion, logically it seems I would have been doing a very poor job of representing my modding site if I showed up sounding like I don't know anything and don't even recognize my own parts etc. That site is just one of many, not mine I don't even have a site. I was just an honest guy looking for advice. Skeptic 2 and Berkeman I thank you for your assistance and apologize for my ignorance (hence the cry for help) and Proton Soup you should learn some manners you are not representing this site positively I think. Good day gentlemen I will not waste time flaming etc. clearly I need to research more to get what I seek.

i'm not an idiot. see it too much, unfortunately. just recently, it was guys trying to get exposure for their mod site for water-powered cars. getting link backs to web sites adds an air of legitimacy to google and ups page rankings. i'll admit, you're smarter than most, but might want to change your name.

xboxmodandrep said:
logically it seems I would have been doing a very poor job of representing my modding site if I showed up sounding like I don't know anything and don't even recognize my own parts etc. That site is just one of many, not mine I don't even have a site. I was just an honest guy looking for advice. Skeptic 2 and Berkeman I thank you for your assistance and apologize for my ignorance (hence the cry for help)

No worries. You did have us all pretty confused at first, but glad it's clearer now.

As Proton said, we get a lot of cases of spammers here with lots of different schemes. We do a pretty good job of weeding them out, but it can make us a bit sensitive at times.

Welcome again to the PF. You'll find it a very useful place as you continue your studies and learning.

You don't get me at all Proton Soup, I am not trying to get exposure, I don't own a site I am a locally run business trying to save a buck, no schemes I did say right in my original post that all I wanted was to figure out how to build this circuit to avoid buying them pre-done from ebay. I didn't disguise my name because I am not being sneaky I promise. Seriously I am just trying to figure this out. Heres my take nothing but honesty:

I want to make rapidfire controllers for myself and friends and yes I will try to sell them locally because I got to pay my rent and I'm not good at much else but screwing with game consoles, but the kits to make these things run from 15-50$ so I ordered a few different types to see if I could recreate the effect with radio shack parts. I love tinkering and soldering and figuring things out anyway. They have that pre-programmed chip that produces 15 pulses per second approx. I thought that was a 555 timer I was wrong but I think it would still be possible to do with a 555 timer but I just don't understand it enough.

So what do you think, I promise never to link to another site for as long as I live to prove I'm not here on some underhanded mission to brainwash you all into buying my xbox mod stuff ;) based on your knowledge of 555 timers, is it possible for me to wire it up to another button to get a rapidfire effect?

Thanks guys sorry for the negativity Proton Soup I suppose you're just looking out for your territory ;)

it's not possible to tell what it does without buying it because they don't have the datasheet available. perhaps you could emulate its function with a 555 and a few discrete components. whether you'd save either money or time (which are often the same thing) is another question. generally, you can't make money at component level test and repair (or mods) unless you're working for uncle sam. even in the 80's, television repair was a dying art. good luck.

A few months ago I learned using the 555 timer, and it really rocks. I've done over a dozen of projects with 555's.
I started learning at http://www.uoguelph.ca/~antoon/gadgets/555/555.html" .
Hope that helps.

Thanks that's what I was looking for, I will check it out and see if I can get it hooked up and let you know.

Thanks again for the help I will come here for my techno needs from now on

What is a 555 timer and how does it work?

A 555 timer is a type of integrated circuit that is commonly used in electronic circuits for timing and oscillator functions. It consists of three main components: a voltage divider, a comparator, and a flip-flop. These components work together to produce an output signal based on the input voltage and the timing components connected to the timer.

How do I program a 555 timer for a specific time delay?

To program a 555 timer for a specific time delay, you will need to adjust the values of the resistors and capacitors connected to the timer. The time delay is determined by the equation t = 1.1 x R x C, where t is the time delay in seconds, R is the value of the resistor in ohms, and C is the value of the capacitor in farads. By selecting the appropriate values for R and C, you can achieve the desired time delay.

What are the different modes of operation for a 555 timer?

A 555 timer has three main modes of operation: monostable, astable, and bistable. In monostable mode, the timer outputs a single pulse of a specific duration when triggered. In astable mode, the timer outputs a continuous square wave. In bistable mode, the timer can be set to either a high or low state and remains in that state until triggered again.

What are some common applications of a 555 timer?

A 555 timer is commonly used in electronic circuits for a variety of applications, including timing functions such as controlling the length of a pulse or delay, generating square wave signals for audio or radio frequency applications, and controlling the speed of motors and other devices. It is also used in electronic toys, LED lighting, and as a basic building block for more complex circuits.

Can a 555 timer be used in conjunction with other electronic components?

Yes, a 555 timer can be used in conjunction with other electronic components to create more complex circuits. It can be combined with other timers to create longer time delays or more precise timing functions. It can also be used with other components such as transistors, diodes, and op-amps to expand its capabilities and create more advanced circuits.