University of Manchester or Bath

• Schools
  • Thread starter sumasone
  • Start date
  • Tags
    University
In summary, the individual has received conditional offers from the University of Manchester and Bath, both of which are of similar difficulty in terms of AP scores. They are considering dropping one of the offers for a safety option, but are unsure which one to choose. They have applied for an Aerospace Engineering MEng program with a year of industrial experience and are seeking advice. One person suggests Manchester based on the city and department, while another mentions the reputation of Bath as a "watering hole" for certain types of students. The individual is leaning towards Manchester due to the city and positive experiences from current students, but is still unsure and seeking more information.
sumasone
I've got conditional offers from the University of Manchester and Bath, and they're about the same difficulty (5 on AP Calc.BC and AP Statistics, Bath accepts 5 for Chemistry)

I'm planning to drop one of them from my choice since I need a safety (which probably will be the university of Southampton)
But I still can't decide which one to drop.

I applied for the Aerospace Engineering MEng program with a year of industrial experience

Could someone give me advice?

Physics news on Phys.org
I would say Manchester just because of the city. Depends what you are into but it is a big city and i am sure there is something for everyone.

In terms of the department i would say Manchester has the edge, it is 3 years since I made my choice and I was doing physics rather than engineering but Manchester looked really good and was my second choice. I have also heard good things about the engineering dept at soutampton so don't feel too bad if you don't get what you want.

I'm on Aerospace at Manchester. The city was the deciding factor for me over Bristol and Southampton, and having some of the best nightlife in the country on my doorstep, along with thousands of undergrads to share it with really has made a world of difference.
I've had nothing but good experiences of the course so far (1st year undergrad).
Hope that helps

Bath has a bit of a reputation as a watering hole for public school types. So does it expect high grades because the course is good or because it's where the well-trained 'in crowd' go? I know someone who did aerospace at manchester and went on to have a very high flying career. But, to be honest, I'm not sure which is best department. Dig some more!

1. What are the top programs offered at the University of Manchester and Bath?

Both the University of Manchester and Bath offer a wide range of programs in various fields such as business, engineering, medicine, and social sciences. However, some of the top programs at the University of Manchester include computer science, psychology, and economics, while Bath's top programs include accounting and finance, architecture, and mechanical engineering.

2. What is the student-faculty ratio at the University of Manchester and Bath?

The student-faculty ratio at the University of Manchester is approximately 11:1, meaning that for every 11 students, there is 1 faculty member. At Bath, the student-faculty ratio is slightly lower at 9:1. Both universities have a relatively low student-faculty ratio, allowing for smaller class sizes and more personalized attention from professors.

3. What are the research opportunities like at the University of Manchester and Bath?

The University of Manchester and Bath are both highly research-focused universities, with a strong emphasis on innovation and discovery. Students have access to state-of-the-art facilities and resources to conduct research in various fields. Additionally, both universities have partnerships with industry and government organizations, providing students with opportunities to collaborate on real-world projects.

4. How diverse is the student population at the University of Manchester and Bath?

Both universities have a diverse student population, with students from over 160 countries studying at the University of Manchester and students from over 130 countries at Bath. Both universities also have a strong commitment to promoting diversity and inclusivity on campus, providing a welcoming and inclusive environment for all students.

5. What are the career prospects for graduates of the University of Manchester and Bath?

Graduates from the University of Manchester and Bath are highly sought after by employers due to their strong academic backgrounds and practical experience gained through internships and research opportunities. Both universities have a strong global reputation, and their graduates have gone on to successful careers in various industries and sectors around the world.