CMB Redshift Question (Visible Wavelengths)

In summary, the CMB (Cosmic Microwave Background) photons date from a time about 380,000 years after the start of expansion and have a redshift of about 1100. Before this time, the hydrogen gas in space was effectively opaque and the temperature was above 3000 K. The CMB started off as mostly infrared radiation with a small percentage of visible light. If we were alive during that time, the night sky would have been bright and the temperature would have been around 3000 K.
Capler
I've looked quite a bit on this forum and also elsewhere online and I cannot really find any information on my inquiry. If this is a double post please delete and send me in the right direction.

Now I may be totally off on my thought process, but as I understand it the CMB first started off as gamma ray radiation and has since redshifted to the radio.

At some point in this redshift journey it must have passed through the visible spectrum.

Which leads me to my question: If we were alive during that time when it was shifting through the visible (assuming there was a time), would the "night's" sky have been bright? Since the CMB is literally everywhere, would we not even be able to see due to overexposure?

Or would the CMB have not been intense enough to even visibly see during this time?

Once again thanks for any insight!

Space news on Phys.org
Capler said:
I've looked quite a bit on this forum and also elsewhere online and I cannot really find any information on my inquiry. If this is a double post please delete and send me in the right direction.

Now I may be totally off on my thought process, but as I understand it the CMB first started off as gamma ray radiation and has since redshifted to the radio.

At some point in this redshift journey it must have passed through the visible spectrum.

Which leads me to my question: If we were alive during that time when it was shifting through the visible (assuming there was a time), would the "night's" sky have been bright? Since the CMB is literally everywhere, would we not even be able to see due to overexposure?

Or would the CMB have not been intense enough to even visibly see during this time?

Once again thanks for any insight!

Yes the night sky would have been bright. Uniform temperature of about 3000 kelvin.

According to the standard cosmo model the CMB photons date from a time about 380,000 years from start of expansion and the CMB redshift is about 1100.

Before that the hydrogen gas filling space was sufficiently ionized so as to be effectively opaque---photons had a limited mean free path and were always being scattered. The temperature was above 3000 K. The CMB photons date from the moment that the medium cooled enough to become effectively transparent.

You are mistaken about the CMB starting as gammaray. It would have started as mostly infrared with a small percentage of visible, like the glow off a star that is 3000 K, more orange than the sun, not so hot has the sun.

If you remember the CMB redshift z = 1100, and the presentday CMB temperature T = 2.728 K, then you can multiply to get the temperature back then when the photons began their journey.

2.7 x 1100 = about 3000

The same factor works for the ratio of wavelengths.

As you can imagine, anyone back then bathed in that early light would be rapidly cooked.

Last edited:
Hmm.. awesome. Thanks for the reply and correction about my gamma ray misconception.

1. What is CMB Redshift?

CMB Redshift refers to the phenomenon of the Cosmic Microwave Background (CMB) radiation shifting towards longer wavelengths as it travels through space. This results in the CMB appearing redder, hence the term "redshift".

2. What causes CMB Redshift?

CMB Redshift is caused by the expansion of the universe. As the universe expands, the wavelengths of light also stretch, causing the CMB radiation to appear redder.

3. How is CMB Redshift measured?

CMB Redshift is measured using a tool called a spectrometer, which can detect and analyze the wavelengths of light. By comparing the observed wavelengths of the CMB to the expected wavelengths, scientists can determine the amount of redshift and use it to study the expansion of the universe.

4. What is the significance of CMB Redshift?

CMB Redshift is significant because it provides evidence for the Big Bang theory and the expanding universe. It also allows scientists to study the properties of the universe, such as its age and rate of expansion.

5. Can CMB Redshift be used to study the early universe?

Yes, CMB Redshift can be used to study the early universe. By analyzing the redshift of the CMB radiation, scientists can determine its age and gain insights into the conditions of the universe shortly after the Big Bang.