What is the material's work function?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of different colored light to produce photoelectrons from a certain material, and seeks to determine the material's work function. The equations used are hf = KEmax + W0 and hf = 1.2 KEmax + W0, where hf represents the energy of the light, KEmax represents the maximum kinetic energy of the photoelectrons, and W0 represents the work function. By solving these equations simultaneously, the work function can be determined. However, in the attempt at a solution, there was an error in substituting the correct values for the frequencies of the two lights, leading to a negative answer for the work function. Further clarification and assistance is needed to solve the problem
itryphysics

Homework Statement

Red light of wavelength 670 nm produces photoelectrons from a certain material. Green light of wavelength 522 nm produces photoelectrons from the same material with 1.2 times the previous maximum kinetic energy. What is the material's work function? answer in units of eV

Homework Equations

hf = KEmax + Wo

The Attempt at a Solution

(6.63e^-34)(3e^8) / 522e-9 = 1.2 + W

the answer i get after punching this into the calculator is 1.2 since the left side of the equation virtually equals zero. Please help me solve this. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
You just have to write the equation hf = KEmax + W0 for both the cases and solve them as simultaneous equations. If KEmax for red is A, then KEmax for green is (1.2)A.

Yes I did that. But its the work function that I need. everytime i had 1.2 on the left side of the equation , the work function equalled 1.2
Please, can you provide any further help?

Write out your steps and I'll tell you where you went wrong.

6.63e^-34 (3e^8) / (522e^-9) = 1.2 + W

7.8 e^-19 = 1.2 + W

7.8 e ^-19 - 1.2 = W
W= 1.2 (since 7.8 e^-19 is almost equal to zero)
help =(

1.2 multiplies KEmax of red. You seem to have it by itself added to W, and I don't really get what you did.

First write out the equations in symbols. What are the two equations in symbols?

hf = KE + W and hf = 1.2KE + W

?

I don't have the KE of red. So wht do i multiply 1.2 by?

The equations you just wrote are correct. Now there are two variables, KE and W in these equations, and you have two equations, so you can eliminate KE, and solve for W.

sorry still a bit confused. Do I not take KE into account at all? wht do i do with the 1.2?

Do you know how to solve simultaneous equations?

eeeek ...not sure .. can you get me started at least , please.

Ok. Take the first equation, and solve it for KE. You will get it in terms of fred and W. Now substitute this in the second equation, and you will get an equation without KE in it.

So...

KE = hf - W
then after substitution ..
hf = 1.2 (hf - W) + W
hf = 1.2 hf -1.2W + W
-0.2 hf = -0.2 W

since f=c/lambda
0.2 hc / lambda =0.2 W

right?

Almost, but you made one mistake. The f in the first equation should be fred = 670 nm and the f in the second equation should be fgreen = 522 nm. They're different.

ok thanks!
but my answer is coming out to be a negative ..

(6.63 e^-34)(670E-9)= 1.2 (6.63e^-34)(522e^-9) - 0.2W
4.4421e^-40 = 4.15303 e^-40 -0.2W
2.8907e^-41 = -0.2W this makes W negative..
help please =(

Last edited:
can someone please help?!?

1. What is a material's work function?

A material's work function is the minimum amount of energy required to remove an electron from the surface of the material. It is a characteristic property of a material and is measured in electron volts (eV).

2. How is the work function of a material determined?

The work function of a material can be determined experimentally by using a technique called photoemission spectroscopy. This involves shining a beam of light onto the material's surface and measuring the energy of the electrons that are emitted. The energy of the emitted electrons can then be used to calculate the work function of the material.

3. What factors can affect the work function of a material?

The work function of a material can be affected by factors such as the type of material, its surface properties, and any impurities or defects present on the surface. Temperature, pressure, and the presence of electric fields can also influence the work function of a material.

4. How does the work function relate to the photoelectric effect?

The photoelectric effect is the phenomenon where electrons are emitted from a material's surface when it is exposed to light. The work function of a material is directly related to the threshold energy of the incident light required to cause the emission of electrons. If the energy of the incident light is greater than the work function, electrons will be emitted from the material's surface.

5. What are the practical applications of knowing a material's work function?

Knowing a material's work function is important in many practical applications, such as in the design of electronic devices and solar cells. It can also be used to understand the behavior of materials in different environments, such as in vacuum or under high temperatures. Additionally, the work function is a key parameter in understanding the principles of surface science and catalysis.