How could I change an equation to look the same as it did with inverted axes?

In summary, to change an equation to look the same as it did with "inverted" axes, you can simply replace x with (-x) and y with (-y), without making any other changes. This can be done by using linear algebra and changing the basis of the equation.
zeebo17
How could I change an equation to look the same as it did with "inverted" axes?

I have graphed something in mathematica and when plotting I accidentally told it to plot the x and y axes backwards- as in x ranges from 1 to -1 from left to right and y ranges from 1 to -1 from bottom to top. Now the equation I was graphing looked exactly how I needed it to behave when plotting it with these incorrect axes.

If it possible to manipulate the equation some how so that when it is plotted with the proper axes it will look like the original equation did on the incorrect axes?

I have tried changing signs and inverting terms. Perhaps there is some linear algebra trick (changing basis or something?).

Any suggestions? Is this possible?

Physics news on Phys.org

Only replace x with (-x) and y with (-y); nothing else.

1. How do I change an equation to have inverted axes?

To change an equation to have inverted axes, you can follow these steps:
1. Identify the axes in the equation.
2. Replace the x-axis with the y-axis and vice versa.
3. Rewrite the equation to reflect the changes made to the axes.
4. Simplify the equation if possible.
5. The resulting equation will now have inverted axes.

2. What is the purpose of inverting axes in an equation?

Inverting axes in an equation can be used to change the orientation of a graph. This can be useful in visualizing data or understanding the relationship between variables in a different perspective.

3. How does inverting axes affect the shape of a graph?

Inverting axes does not change the shape of the graph itself, but it can change the direction in which the graph is presented. For example, a graph with an inverted x-axis will appear flipped horizontally compared to the original graph.

4. Can I invert both axes in an equation?

Yes, you can invert both axes in an equation. This means that the x-axis and y-axis will both be swapped, resulting in a graph that is upside down compared to the original graph.

5. Are there any limitations to inverting axes in an equation?

Inverting axes in an equation may not always be applicable, especially if the equation involves complex functions. It is also important to note that inverting axes does not change the underlying relationship between variables, it simply changes the way it is presented graphically.