Solution to Time Dilation Problem

In summary, the time difference between two events in an inertial system is measured to be 1.0e^-5 seconds.
atarr3
Hey all, I'm having a bit of trouble with this problem.

Two events occur in an inertial system K at the same time but 4 km apart. What is the time difference measured in a system K' moving between these two events when the distance separation of the events is measured to be 5 km?

I though I could use the length contraction equation to find the speed the frame is traveling and use that in the time dilation equation, but I don't know the proper time. I found the speed of frame K' to be 0.6c with respect to K.

Thanks in advance for any help you guys give.

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know how to use the Lorentz transformation? The position of the origin is arbitrary, so you can just say one of the two events occurs at the origin (x=0 and t=0 in system K), and then in the K frame the other must be at x=4 km, t=0 since they are simultaneous. Then you can use the Lorentz transform to get x' and t' for the second event in the K' frame...

Yeah x' is given to us in the problem. It's 5 km. So when I use the equation t' = [t-(vx/c^2)]/0.8, I get t' = 1.25e^-5 s which would be the time difference, but the book says 1.0e^-5.

atarr3 said:
Yeah x' is given to us in the problem. It's 5 km. So when I use the equation t' = [t-(vx/c^2)]/0.8, I get t' = 1.25e^-5 s which would be the time difference, but the book says 1.0e^-5.
I think you just made a math error somewhere. The math in these problems is always easier if you use units where c=1, so instead of x=4 km, plug in x=(4/299792.458)=1.334e^-5 light seconds, and since t=0 this gives t' = -0.6*(1.334e^-5)/0.8 = -1.0e^-5 seconds

Ah yes I got it now. I had accidentally put in 5 instead of 4. Thank you so much for your help!

What is time dilation?

Time dilation is a phenomenon in which time appears to pass at different rates for objects that are moving at different speeds or in different gravitational fields. It is a prediction of Einstein's theory of relativity.

What is the solution to the time dilation problem?

The solution to the time dilation problem is to understand that time is not absolute, but rather relative to the observer's frame of reference. This means that the passage of time can be different for different observers depending on their relative velocity and gravitational fields.

How does time dilation affect GPS satellites?

GPS satellites are equipped with atomic clocks that are synchronized with clocks on Earth. However, due to their high speeds and the Earth's gravitational field, they experience time dilation. This can cause discrepancies in time measurements, which must be corrected for in order for GPS to function accurately.

Can time dilation be observed in everyday life?

Yes, time dilation can be observed in everyday life, but the effects are extremely small and can only be measured with very precise instruments. For example, atomic clocks on airplanes have been found to run slightly slower than identical clocks on the ground due to the plane's high speed.

Is time dilation just a theory?

No, time dilation has been confirmed through numerous experiments and observations, including the famous Hafele-Keating experiment and the use of atomic clocks on satellites. It is a fundamental aspect of Einstein's theory of relativity and is widely accepted in the scientific community.