Looking For Physics Career Advice

In summary: The poster is trying to get into graduate school. They have had a hard time in undergrad and have no work experience. They are a "shy person" and have not approached anyone to ask about this. They are worried that their grades are not good and they will not be able to get into grad school. The poster has tried to get their marks up, get some research experience, and teach. They are also trying to participate more actively in their undergraduate program.
Winter Flower
Hi, I am currently an undergrad in physics/astronomy in my senior year. I am interested in doing work of a theoretical (or semi-theoretical) nature in the future. My reasoning for this is that it seems it does not require a lot of resources other than access to data and I think I would enjoy it. However my grades are not very good. I have had a very hard time as an undergrad. I also have no work experience. I am kind of a "shy person" so I haven't approached anyone to ask about this, and it also took me some time to come to this conclusion decisively. :) I know it is necessary to get a PHD in order to have a good understanding of the current research fields of physics but at this point I am worried I won't be able to get into grad school... Can anyone give me some suggestions of steps I can take to go in the right direction?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well the first step is to get your marks up so you can get into graduate school. If you don't make the cut, the fact of the matter is that you'll have to start considering other careers. It's not always the students with the highest marks who are the most successful in research, but you to have to get in first. While doing this, you also need to make sure you're not just learning for the sake of marks. Most of the stuff that you skip over in undergrad will come back to haunt you at some point in your career.

The next suggestion is to get some research experience. This can come in the form of a senior thesis project, a formal program (I believe REU is the acronym in the US), or simply knocking on a professor's door and volunteering your time. You do of course have to be serious about this and be willing to dedicate some time to this. This experience will (a) give you an idea of what graduate school is like, and (b) lead to those all-important letters of reference required for admission to graduate school.

Another thing that might help is teaching experience. Some universities allow senior undergraduates to instruct first year labs. Or you can always try some tutoring. This kind of thing also forces you to get really good at the fundamentals.

Don't worry about it being "too late" to start. You can't change anything about the past, but you can changes things around now.

If you're really passionate about going this route, the worst case scenario is that you don't get in on your first try, you take an extra year and do some additional courses and get that research experience that will get you in.

Thanks very much for your detailed and encouraging reply, Choppy! If I am able to do the three things you mentioned I think I will be more prepared for applying to grad school and have a better understanding of what it will be like.

Trying to learn for the sake of the marks is a familiar concept. It started to seem that way as the difficulty of my classes increased and my gpa decreased. Ironically, it made the situation worse because I skipped important things. I'm not really sure what to do other than try to study as much as possible from now on.

However, your post also helped me to understand that getting some research and teaching experience is important since those would be in a structured environment compared to when I am studying on my own and require me to manage my time differently, plus use the things I have already learned. I would also like to participate more actively in that way. So hopefully that will be the next step...

1. What career options are available for those with a degree in physics?

There are a variety of career paths that are open to those with a degree in physics. Some common options include research and development positions in industries such as aerospace, energy, and technology, as well as teaching and academic positions in universities and colleges. Other options include data analysis, consulting, and science writing.

2. Do I need an advanced degree to have a successful career in physics?

While having an advanced degree, such as a Master's or PhD, can open up more opportunities and potentially lead to higher salaries, it is not always necessary for a successful career in physics. Many industries value the problem-solving and critical thinking skills that come with a physics degree, and there are also options for those with Bachelor's degrees, such as technician or research assistant positions.

3. How can I gain relevant experience in the field of physics?

One way to gain experience in the field of physics is through internships or research opportunities during your undergraduate or graduate studies. You can also seek out volunteer or part-time positions at laboratories, observatories, or other scientific institutions. Another option is to participate in relevant extracurricular activities, such as physics clubs or competitions.

4. What skills are important for a career in physics?

Some key skills that are important for a career in physics include strong mathematical and analytical abilities, critical thinking and problem-solving skills, attention to detail, and the ability to communicate complex ideas effectively. In addition, being able to work well in a team and having a strong work ethic are also valuable qualities in the field of physics.

5. Is it possible to switch to a career in physics if I did not major in it during my undergraduate studies?

Yes, it is possible to switch to a career in physics even if you did not major in it during your undergraduate studies. Many graduate programs in physics accept students with diverse backgrounds, and there are also opportunities to gain relevant skills and experience through post-baccalaureate programs or taking additional coursework in physics. Networking and seeking out mentors in the field can also help in making a successful career switch to physics.