When are work and heat calculated by differences in enthelpy or internal energy

In summary, In the book Applied Thermodynamics for Engineering Technologists by Eastop & McConkey, it is stated that Q+W=U2-U1 for a fixed mass system. However, when dealing with a control volume or open system, the correct energy balance equation is Q+W=H2-H1. Enthalpies are used for calculations involving mass flow, and the equation for this is m(u1+v12/2+gh1+p1v1)+Q+W=m(u2+v22/2+gh2+p2v2). This applies for a reciprocating steam engine as well.
Yellow Fang
Hi,

This is not exactly homework, but I'm not sure it belongs in any other section either. I've been reading through Applied Thermodynamics for Engineering Technologists by Eastop & McConkey. In general it's pretty good I think. However, in the first few chapters, it explained that Q+W = U2-U1, i.e. Heat plus work equals the difference in internal energy (in steam). Then I got to the chapter on steam cycles where it started calculating heat and work in differences in enthalpy. I haven't really got to the bottom of why this is. I know that enthalpy is internal energy plus the product of pressure and volume (h = u + pv). I looked up one book in the library which referred to 'shaft work' when work is done with no change in pressure, but I can't see how this could apply with a turbine because there in change in pressure during the compression and expansion processes.

It seems that enthalpies are used for calculations where mass flow is involved, and that the equation in question is

m(u1 + v12/2 + gh1 + p1v1) + Q + W = m(u2 + v22/2 + gh2 + p2v2)

Am I along the right lines? Would Q+W=U2-U1 still apply for a reciprocating steam engine?

Physics news on Phys.org
Q+W=U2-U1 is applicable when you have a system (fixed mass). For a control volume (or open system) the correct energy balance is Q+W=H2-H1 .

1. What is enthalpy and why is it important in calculating work and heat?

Enthalpy is a thermodynamic property that represents the total energy of a system. It takes into account the internal energy of the system as well as the pressure and volume of the system. Enthalpy is important in calculating work and heat because it helps us understand the energy changes that occur during a process.

2. What is the difference between calculating work and heat using enthalpy versus internal energy?

When calculating work and heat using enthalpy, we consider the change in enthalpy of the system, which takes into account the energy changes due to both internal energy and pressure-volume work. On the other hand, when using internal energy, we only consider the change in internal energy of the system.

3. How do you determine whether to use enthalpy or internal energy in a calculation?

The decision to use enthalpy or internal energy in a calculation depends on the type of process being analyzed. For processes at constant pressure, enthalpy is the preferred choice as it simplifies the calculation. For processes at constant volume, internal energy is the preferred choice.

4. Does the change in enthalpy or internal energy affect the amount of work and heat generated?

Yes, the change in enthalpy or internal energy directly affects the amount of work and heat generated. The larger the change in enthalpy or internal energy, the greater the amount of work and heat that will be generated during a process.

5. Can enthalpy or internal energy be used to calculate work and heat for all thermodynamic processes?

No, enthalpy and internal energy can only be used to calculate work and heat for processes that are at constant pressure or constant volume, respectively. For other types of processes, additional thermodynamic properties such as entropy and Gibbs free energy may need to be considered in the calculation.