Disabling Op-Amp ICs - Is Cutting Supply or Ground OK?

• Thread starter Jdo300
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Op-amp
In summary, there is a way to disable the output of an op-amp by cutting the supply or ground line, but it must be done carefully to avoid damaging the amp. Adding series resistance and staying within specified voltage limits can help protect the amp. There are also op-amps available with a disable function on one of the pins for easier use. Additionally, it's important to be aware of CMOS latchup when using CMOS FET op-amps to avoid destructive currents.
Jdo300
Hi All,

I have a quick question for you. If you have a garden variety op-amp IC like the LM358 and you want to disable the output of the op-amp (assuming single supply operation), would it hurt it to "disable" it by cutting the supply or ground line to the IC assuming that signals can still be connected to the inputs? I'm *assuming* that incoming signals would not affect the IC if it were a FET op-amp but I'm not sure about the bipolar ones.

Thanks,
Jason O

Engineering news on Phys.org

Hello Jason,

Most devices will tolerate a bit of current into their signal pins - i.e. driving them from an excessive source. The trick is to have a feel for how much, and insure that you have enough series resistance to keep from damaging the amp while power is removed. As a rule of thumb, I typically keep it at .25ma or less, though older amps with less delicate transistors would likely take much more.

If your signal gets to 12v, than 47K between your op amp and signal would keep you safe. For a 5 volt signal, 20K works.

Note that there are a fair number of guys who will argue that this isn't neccesarily valid because they haven't found it on the data sheet. But then, all of us are guilty of designing circuits in which op amps have been tortured by power supply start up timing, and settling in other ciruits. In those cases, I guess ignorance was bliss ; )

Best of Luck,

Mike

Haha thanks for the tips mike. :smile:

A word of warning if you try this with CMOS FET op-amps: there is an effect called "CMOS Latchup" which can result in the chip taking destructively high supply currents if the inputs are taken outside the supply rail voltages.

Manufacturers typically specify all voltages to be less than 0.3V beyond the supplies- you should try to arrange resistors in your input circuit to guarantee that. This may require shunt as well as series resistors to be added - and if so you would have to allow for their effects on normal operation.

1. How does cutting the supply or ground on an Op-Amp IC disable it?

Cutting the supply or ground on an Op-Amp IC essentially disconnects it from the power source, preventing it from receiving any power and rendering it unable to function. This effectively disables the IC and prevents it from amplifying signals or performing any other function.

2. Is cutting the supply or ground a safe way to disable an Op-Amp IC?

In most cases, cutting the supply or ground on an Op-Amp IC is a safe and effective way to disable it. However, it is important to take precautions and make sure that the cut is clean and does not damage any other components on the circuit board.

3. Can cutting the supply or ground damage the Op-Amp IC?

If done carefully and correctly, cutting the supply or ground should not damage the Op-Amp IC. However, if the cut is not clean or if excessive force is applied, it is possible for the IC to be damaged. It is important to handle the IC with care and use sharp, precise tools for cutting.

4. Are there any other methods for disabling an Op-Amp IC?

Yes, there are other methods for disabling an Op-Amp IC, such as using a switch to disconnect the power supply or removing the IC from the circuit board. However, cutting the supply or ground is often the simplest and most effective method.

5. Can an Op-Amp IC be re-enabled after it has been disabled by cutting the supply or ground?

In most cases, an Op-Amp IC cannot be re-enabled after it has been disabled by cutting the supply or ground. This is because the cut effectively breaks the circuit and the IC will no longer receive power. If you want to re-enable the IC, you will likely need to replace it with a new one.