Testing Time Dilation: Atomic Clocks in Jet Aircraft Experiment Results

In summary, the experiment found that the clocks on the eastbound and westbound planes flew at different speeds, and that the eastbound plane flew faster than the westbound plane. The average speed of the plane was 416.6 m/s.
KyleS4562
In 1971 four portable atomic clocks were flown around the world in jet aircraft, two east bound and two westbound, to test the times dilation predictions of relativity. a) If the westbound plane flew at an average speed of 1500 km/h relative to the surface, how long would it have to fly for the clock on board to lose 1s relative to the reference clock on the ground? b) In the actual experiment the plane circumflew Earth once and the observed discrepancy of the clocks was 273ns. What was the plane's average speed?

For the first part, I convereted 1500km/h to 416.6m/s, then put it terms of c, or 1.389x10^-6c. I then took the standard equation t'/(sqrt(1-(1.389x10^-6c)^2)/c^2) = t.
I then made t-t'=1, solved for t'=-1+t and put that into the equation.
Solving, I got 1x10^12 s, or 31,688 years. Is this a reasonable answer?

I think my method would be wrong, because I followed similar steps to get b. After removing the t' prime from the equation as I did in part a, I set t = 40075160m/v, 40075160m being the circumference of the earth. My equation was as follows:
(1/(sqrt(1-(v^2/c^2)))*(-273x10^-9s + 40075160/v) = 40075160/v

I solved for v, but got 1226.2 m/s, which is a speed I don't believe we've even held for a sustained flight now, let alone in 1971. Where am I going wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
for part a, it seems reasonable. It would take quite a long time to get a 1s discrepancy.

For part b, are you taking into account that the Earth rotates (and that the planes fly in opposite directions)?

No i did not. I will try that. But would I have to consider the Earth's rotation in part a as well?

1. What is time dilation?

Time dilation is a phenomenon predicted by Einstein's theory of relativity, where time appears to pass slower for objects traveling at high speeds or experiencing strong gravitational fields.

2. How does the atomic clock experiment test time dilation?

The atomic clock experiment involves flying two atomic clocks, one stationary on the ground and one on a high-speed jet aircraft. The clocks are then compared to see if there is a difference in the passage of time due to the speed of the aircraft.

3. What were the results of the atomic clock experiment?

The results of the atomic clock experiment showed that the clock on the jet aircraft did indeed experience time dilation, with a difference of nanoseconds compared to the stationary clock on the ground.

4. How does time dilation affect our daily lives?

In our daily lives, the effects of time dilation are extremely small and are only noticeable at extremely high speeds or in strong gravitational fields. However, it is an important concept in understanding the behavior of objects in the universe and is essential for modern technologies such as GPS systems.

5. What other experiments have been conducted to test time dilation?

Aside from the atomic clock experiment, other experiments have been conducted using atomic clocks on satellites and in space, as well as with high-speed particles in particle accelerators. These experiments have all confirmed the predictions of Einstein's theory of relativity regarding time dilation.