Cad program that you could suggest?

In summary, a CAD program is a computer-aided design software that allows users to create, modify, and analyze 2D and 3D designs. It offers a wide range of tools and features for drafting, modeling, and rendering, making it ideal for professionals and students in the fields of engineering, architecture, and industrial design. Some popular CAD programs include AutoCAD, SolidWorks, and SketchUp, each with its own strengths and capabilities. Ultimately, the best CAD program to suggest would depend on the specific needs and preferences of the user.
B166ER
i was wondering if any of you fellows, new of a good ( and free ) cad program that u could suggest?

thanks regards

Engineering news on Phys.org
A google search for TurboCad might help, though if you really want a "good" CAD system, it won't be "free" (well, not legally anyway).

AutoCAD and Pro-E are good, but not free.

There are a few cheap CAD programs out there, ($10.00 turbocad older limited capability versions).

There are some pretty good architectural CAD programs out there that are not as versatile as AutoCad but work great for quick drafting of square or rectagular rooms with an occasional odd angle. Such as Borderbund's "Home Architect," also available for about $10.00 for older versions, or about $50.00 for up-to-date.

AutoCad Lite is available for about $50.00. This is supposed to have some of the features of AutoCad.

What do you want to draw?

i would like to draw like prototypes for robotics and other aplications

The inexpensive version of ISMI TurboCad or AutoCad lite would probably be fine for that, unless you're already used to one of the more expensive versions, then you will find yourself wanting and lacking the other features or controls. Search the bargain areas and software departments of stores like OfficeMax or Staples for these.

If you want to test some out, here are some free trail versions of various CAD software:

http://www.icivilengineer.com/Software_Guide/CAD/

PS. I may have been wrong about the cost of AutoCad Lite. The site I listed says it's over $500.00.

Here is a site offering Cheap and free CAD versions:

Free and Cheap CAD

have any of you used turbo cad version 8?
i have that cad program but it is hard for me to understand how to use it, have any of you had experience with that cad program?

thanks regards

As I recall, it's pretty simple and basic, with an interface not dissimilar to AutoCAD. If you really want hard to understand, you want to try Pro-E!

If you can get a license for Solidworks, that has a very simple user interface, and some pretty helpful online tutorials.

yea it does have a very simple user interface i guess i just need to remember how to remember wat is wat, I am only 16 so I am having a hard time understanding it more into physics and electronics then computers even though electronic and computers are in the same subject.

thanks regards

brewnog said:
As I recall, it's pretty simple and basic, with an interface not dissimilar to AutoCAD. If you really want hard to understand, you want to try Pro-E!

If you can get a license for Solidworks, that has a very simple user interface, and some pretty helpful online tutorials.

Yeah, all things considered, Solidworks is king. But it's still pretty expensive.

There's a new program called Alibre Design that's a lot like Solidworks, from what I can tell. They offer a 30-day free trial (and the seat price isn't bad either). That should be enough time to learn everything you need to know about parametric modeling, and are afraid to ask. But that's twelve hours a day, six days a week. Don't tell your mom.

If you do not want to get a program through copying, I believe AutoDesk occasionally releases full-featured demo CDs of their software- time limited. I'm not sure about how to get them, though...never had to resort to using one.

For your purposes, AutoDesk Inventor sounds excellent...it's not a true drafting program. You "sketch" out your work, and the program will adjust the dimensions to suit how it all fits together. Calculates moments and mass/volume, as well. I don't know how SolidWorks works, but it is known as being quite capable, as well.

I use Autocad2000 but also use Autodesk Autosketch. I don't know if autosketch is still available but it's simple to use and was a much cheeper program.

Regards

Don

never heard of autosketch new to me

Autosketch isn't around anymore (ok you can download it probably).
If you're a student you might be able to get a students licence.
In holland you can get licences for a lot of software for bargain prices if your a student (e.g. WinXP pro for 20 euro's).

I don't know where you live but you might try that (if your a student).

never heard of autosketch new to me

You can purchase autosketch 9 at a reduced price for students here: http://www.studica.com/products/product_detail.cfm?productid=557

Regards

Don

1. What is a CAD program and what is it used for?

A CAD (Computer-Aided Design) program is a specialized software used by engineers, architects, and other professionals to create detailed digital designs and technical drawings. It allows users to create, modify, and analyze designs in 2D or 3D, aiding in the design process and improving accuracy and efficiency.

2. Which CAD program is the best for beginners?

There are many CAD programs available, each with its own features and learning curve. Some popular options for beginners include SketchUp, Tinkercad, and AutoCAD LT. It is best to research and try out different programs to find one that suits your needs and skill level.

3. Can CAD programs be used for 3D printing?

Yes, CAD programs are commonly used for 3D printing. They allow users to create and modify 3D models, which can then be exported and printed using a 3D printer. Some CAD programs even have built-in features specifically for 3D printing, such as file optimization and support generation.

4. Are there any free CAD programs available?

Yes, there are several free CAD programs available, such as FreeCAD, LibreCAD, and DraftSight. These programs may have limited features compared to paid versions, but they can still be powerful tools for designing and creating digital models and drawings.

5. Is it necessary to have technical drawing skills to use a CAD program?

While having technical drawing skills can be helpful, it is not a requirement to use a CAD program. Most CAD programs have user-friendly interfaces and tools that make it easy for beginners to create designs without extensive technical knowledge. However, having basic knowledge of drafting principles can help in creating more accurate and precise designs.