Disc. math/logic: division & modulus proofs

In summary, the conversation discusses proving the statement that if a, b, c, and d are integers such that a | c and b | d, then ab | cd. The conversation also discusses using substitutions to demonstrate the proof, as well as the use of congruency in a proof.
n00neimp0rtnt

Homework Statement

Show that if a, b, c, and d are integers such that a | c and b | d, then ab | cd.

Let m be a positive integer. Show that a mod m = b mod m if a ≡ b(mod m)

Homework Equations

| means "divides," so a | b means "a divides b" or "b can be divided by a"
mod gets the remainder; a mod m means "the remainder after m is divided by a"
≡ means "is congruent to"

The Attempt at a Solution

For the proof of the first one, I can easily substitute real values:
a = 4
b = 3
c = 16
d = 9

and from that I would get

(4)(3) | (16)(9)
12 | 144

which is obviously 12, for which the statement holds true; however, since this is a universal proof and not an existential one, that statement is far from enough to prove it.

For the proof of the second statement, I am unsure about how to treat a congruency in a proof like this.

Proofs are probably my weakest point in this course, so thanks in advance for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
If a | c, then c = ma. In the same way, d = nb.
The rest of the demonstration is up to you.

1. What is division in math?

Division is an arithmetic operation that involves separating a number into equal parts or groups. It is the inverse operation of multiplication.

2. How do I prove division using mathematical logic?

To prove division using mathematical logic, you can use the division algorithm, which states that for any two integers a and b, there exists unique integers q and r such that a = bq + r, where 0 ≤ r < b. This algorithm can be proven using mathematical induction.

3. What is modulus in math?

Modulus, also known as the remainder, is the left-over amount after division. For example, the modulus of 10 divided by 3 is 1, because 10 divided by 3 is equal to 3 with a remainder of 1.

4. How do I prove modulus using mathematical logic?

To prove modulus using mathematical logic, you can use the division algorithm as well. The remainder r in the division algorithm is the modulus. For example, if a = 10 and b = 3, then the modulus is 1, as shown in the previous question.

5. What are some real-life applications of division and modulus?

Division and modulus have many real-life applications, such as dividing a pizza into equal slices, calculating interest rates, and finding the day of the week. Modulus is also commonly used in computer programming to determine if a number is odd or even.