Is Pursuing a Ph.D. in Physics Worth It?

• Thread starter Benjamin113
  • Start date
In summary, pursuing a PhD in Physics requires a strong academic background, mental and academic preparation, and a willingness to work hard. The earnings and job opportunities vary, but the coursework is challenging and good math skills are necessary. The final dissertation can be stressful and the prestige of the university is not as important as the reputation of the research group/supervisor. Admissions are competitive and ultimately, the decision of whether it is worth it or not is a personal one.
Benjamin113
I am a high school student with a strong interest/aptitude in Physics. Recently, I have been considering the possibility of earning (remember, this is hypothetical) a Ph. D in Physics, but I am not sure of what is required, or what the coursework is like (whenever I look online, I can never get a good, definitive answer), etc.

So, PF, I would like to know:

-What are some good academic prerequisites? (When applying for the initial program, i.e. B.Sc., and then the actual Ph. D program itself)

-What can I do to prepare for it? (mentally, academically, etc.)

-What are the earnings?

-What are the jobs that can be done with the Ph. D? (relates to previous question)

-What is the coursework like? Does it vary from college to college?

- ^Is it challenging?

-Are good math skills really necessary? (Not saying that I don't have them...)

-What is the final dissertation like? (poorly formatted question, lol)

-Which colleges/universities have the best programs?

-Are the admissions competitive? (another poorly formatted question, lol)

And finally, probably the most important:

In the end, is it really worth it?

I would really appreciate your responses. Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org

This is really a personal question. It's like asking us if you'll like Bavarian funk-techno of something. You have to talk to undergrads, grad students, professors, physicists, basically whoever will listen and make this decision on your own. ZapperZ's guide "So you want to be a physicist?" is stickied on this forum; I'd give it a read if I were you.

What I can tell you; yes it is hard, yes you need math, yes it is competitive. As for the rest of them, they really are easily answered by just doing a few forum searches. Good luck.

Benjamin113 said:
-What are some good academic prerequisites?
Bsc or Msc at a good standard is required.

Benjamin113 said:
-What can I do to prepare for it? (mentally, academically, etc.)
You're far too long off to worry about mental preparation. As far as academic preparation goes, the same advice that you'll be given for undergraduate - work hard in all of your courses, even if you don't find it interesting.

Benjamin113 said:
-What are the earnings?
For what? During the PhD itself or for people afterwards? During the PhD earnings are low (you'd be much better off financially if you just went and 'got a job'). Afterwards, earning opportunities vary hugely depending on what you want to do.

Benjamin113 said:
-What are the jobs that can be done with the Ph. D? (relates to previous question)
As with most of your questions, this has been answered hundreds of times before, do a search. I remember responding to two of these threads within the past week or two anyway. Shot answer: lots of jobs. For industry jobs, the interest about a PhD graduate is that they've gained skills in project management etc. These skills are desirable in many disciplines.

Benjamin113 said:
-What is the coursework like? Does it vary from college to college? - ^Is it challenging?
It varies hugely. But yes, you need to have a degree first, so you should expect it to be more difficult than undergraduate.

Benjamin113 said:
-Are good math skills really necessary? (Not saying that I don't have them...)
It depends which subject area you work in. I would take a lot of math courses during your undergraduate to prepare yourself either way.

Benjamin113 said:
-What is the final dissertation like? (poorly formatted question, lol)
Stressful. The final submission is, afterall, the culmination of many years work. Like a book, only everyone will tell you it's rubbish and you have to explain why it isn't.

Benjamin113 said:
-Which colleges/universities have the best programs?
PhD programmes don't work like this. It's about the reputation of the research group/supervisor that works within a department, within the university. Prestige of university isn't so important, it's more about the supervisor you work with (and these certainly don't always correlate).

Benjamin113 said:
-Are the admissions competitive? (another poorly formatted question, lol)
Yes.

Benjamin113 said:
As was said by the previous poster, it's entirely a personal question. Generally, it isn't wise to pursue a PhD for financial or career based means. It's something you do if you really want to. If it then helps you get a better spot on the career ladder, then great - but there's no guarantee it will.

What does "I know this is generic, but" mean?

"I know this is generic, but" is a phrase commonly used to acknowledge that what is being said or written may not be original or unique. It is often used as a disclaimer before making a statement or asking a question.

Why do people use the phrase "I know this is generic, but"?

People may use this phrase to clarify that they are aware their statement may not be original or groundbreaking. It can also serve as a way to soften the impact of a potentially controversial statement.

Is using the phrase "I know this is generic, but" a bad thing?

No, using this phrase is not inherently bad. It can be used as a way to acknowledge the limitations of one's statement or to show humility. However, it should not be used excessively or as a way to avoid taking responsibility for one's words.

Can using the phrase "I know this is generic, but" diminish the impact of a statement?

In some cases, yes. Using this phrase may suggest that the speaker or writer lacks confidence in their own words or that they are not fully committed to their statement. It is important to use this phrase thoughtfully and in appropriate situations.

How can I make my statement or question more original and impactful instead of using the phrase "I know this is generic, but"?

One way to make your statement or question more original and impactful is to do some research and provide specific examples or evidence to support your point. You can also try to approach the topic from a unique angle or offer a new perspective. Additionally, actively listening to others and incorporating their ideas can also help make your statement more original and impactful.