Transfer out, scre up, transfer back. Graduate schools view.

In summary, the conversation discusses a student's struggles with their GPA while attending two different universities and their concerns about how this will affect their chances of getting into a graduate school for astronomy. They consider options such as appealing for probation, attempting a delayed withdrawal, or declaring academic bankruptcy. The conversation also mentions the importance of research, professor recommendations, and GRE scores in the graduate school application process.

Transfer back to ASU or Stay at UA or other?

• Stay at UA, raise GPA

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • Trasnfer back to ASU, keep steady GPA

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Drop out

• Other

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Hueytwo50
Transfer out, screw up, transfer back. Graduate schools view of it.

I am a Physics/Astronomy major. I attended Arizona State University as a freshman last year where I had a 3.18 GPA, transferred to the University of Arizona this year where I have 1.25 GPA. There are several reason why I have struggled this year (I had some personal and health issues) but the point of this post is to ask this:

If I transfer back to ASU and do well, how will astronomy graduate school look at my transferring out, screwing up at UA, and then transferring back to ASU? Will they immediately red flag me? Will it hinder my chances of getting in? How does GPA factor in, compared to GRE scores and recommendations? Should I stay at UA or go back to ASU?

Note, I have to send in both transcripts to grad schools, I can't just "erase" my UA grades.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
There might be some options, but you might be in trouble. If you are depending on some sort of financial aid, then usually anything under 2.0 poses a problem. You can usually appeal and go on probation, but there is a chance your appeal will be denied. Another possible option is to attempt a "delayed withdrawal program" where you basically attempt to withdrawal your last semester (giving you W's for the classes instead of F's and D's). These are still considered attempted hours, but it doesn't hurt your GPA. Basically with that, you have to plea to some committee, stating your reasons for effing up and show proof of your extenuating circumstances (medical records, etc.). I tired this once, and got denied, so it's not a sure shot. There is also something called "academic bankruptcy" that wipes out all of your schooling (still gives you W's but kind of wipes the slate clean). There are stipulations to that, but it's kind of a sure thing for the most part. I would talk to admissions or financial aid at your school about these options, if they are available.

You could somehow pull that GPA up some, but you will have to work your *** off. I believe grad schools don't scrutinize GPAs too too much, and if it's just a one semester screw up, then they can see that and see that you did well from then on out.

After you figure all of that mess out . . . in the mean time try to find research, brown nose professors for recommendations, and study for the GRE to hopefully get a good score on that. It's not the end of the world, you just might be steering through shallow waters.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

1. What is "transfer out" and how does it affect my graduate school application?

"Transfer out" refers to when a student starts their studies at one institution and then transfers to a different institution. This can affect your graduate school application in terms of your academic history and the courses you have completed. It is important to communicate any transfer out experiences and provide transcripts from all institutions attended.

2. Can transferring to a different institution be seen as a "screw up" to graduate schools?

No, transferring to a different institution is a common practice and is not seen as a negative factor by graduate schools. It is important to be transparent about your transfer experience and provide reasons for the transfer in your application.

3. How does transferring back to my original institution affect my graduate school application?

Transferring back to your original institution may not have a significant impact on your graduate school application. However, it is important to explain the reasons for the transfer back and how it has influenced your academic and career goals.

4. Will graduate schools view transferring as a lack of commitment or instability?

No, transferring to a different institution does not necessarily indicate a lack of commitment or instability. It is important to provide context and reasons for the transfer in your application to help graduate schools understand your academic journey.

5. Do I need to provide transcripts from all institutions I have attended, even if I only took a few courses there?

Yes, it is important to provide transcripts from all institutions you have attended, even if you only took a few courses there. This allows graduate schools to have a complete understanding of your academic background and performance.