Build a microscope that sees at the atomic level?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of building a microscope that can see at the atomic level. The cost of building one is very high, similar to the cost of buying one already assembled. The conversation also mentions a dealer that sells parts to build a microscope and may ship to Canada.
siliconhype
I am curious about microscopes, I know i could buy an optical one for around $200 $500, i am wondering about how hard it would be to build a microscope that sees at the atomic level? I imagine buing one is pricey. Is it within the budget and access of Average Joe to build a microscope that powerful?

Engineering news on Phys.org
No. Those microscopes cost hundreds of thousands. Building one wouldn't be much less, assuming you know how to build one (that works).

I am assuming you are talking about an electron microscope or a QTM.

Paden Roder

Yeah...

Yeah, hmm, i think a while ago i mightve read an article and downloaded a program to run one of those home made... but the price tag was big even for do it yourself instructions... eitherway, does anyone of any good microscope (optical) suppliers? hopefully near Toronto... or someone that ships to Canada.

siliconhype said:
Yeah, hmm, i think a while ago i mightve read an article and downloaded a program to run one of those home made... but the price tag was big even for do it yourself instructions... eitherway, does anyone of any good microscope (optical) suppliers? hopefully near Toronto... or someone that ships to Canada.
Here is a dealer that sells parts to build your own or surplus fully assembled units. I don't know if they ship to Canada or not, but they are worth a look.

Surplus Shed

Nice

Looks good, thanks.

1. How does a microscope see at the atomic level?

A microscope that sees at the atomic level uses advanced techniques such as electron microscopy or scanning probe microscopy. These techniques use electrons or other particles to create an image of the sample at a much higher resolution than traditional light microscopes.

2. What is the resolution of a microscope that can see at the atomic level?

The resolution of a microscope that sees at the atomic level can range from a few nanometers to sub-angstrom levels, depending on the specific technique used.

3. Can a microscope see individual atoms?

Yes, some advanced microscopes such as scanning tunneling microscopes and atomic force microscopes can see individual atoms. However, the sample must be conductive and placed in a vacuum for these techniques to work.

4. What are the limitations of a microscope that sees at the atomic level?

One limitation is that the sample must be extremely thin and flat in order to be imaged properly. Another limitation is that the sample must be conductive for some techniques to work. Additionally, the high resolution images often require specialized software and skills to analyze.

5. How can a scientist build a microscope that sees at the atomic level?

Building a microscope that sees at the atomic level requires advanced knowledge of physics and engineering. Scientists must also have access to specialized equipment and materials. Collaboration with other experts in the field is often necessary to successfully build a microscope that can see at the atomic level.