How to show a sequence converges

• Thread starter henry22
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sequence
In summary: So in summary, the conversation discusses the function y=(x+2)/(x+1) and its iterations, showing that for any initial value other than -sqrt{2}, the sequence converges to sqrt{2}. It is also found that sqrt{2} is a stable fixed point and -sqrt{2} is an unstable fixed point. The conversation then moves on to proving these findings using a standard test for convergence and discussing the use of Newton's method to find the zeros of x^2-2 in relation to the function y=(x+2)/(x+1). Finally, there is a discussion about the behavior of the sequence for initial values greater than and less than sqrt{2}.
henry22
Hey guys,

I have a function y=(x+2)/(x+1) and I have performed iterations to show that for any initial value other than -sqrt{2} the sequence converges to sqrt{2}.

So I have found that sqrt{2} is a stable fixed point and -sqrt{2} is an unstable fixed point.

Now I have to prove my findings using a standard test for convergence?

Can anyone help.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
hi there.

a sufficient condition is that
the derivative in the fixed point has to be smaller than one in absolute value

henry22 said:
Hey guys,

I have a function y=(x+2)/(x+1) and I have performed iterations to show that for any initial value other than -sqrt{2} the sequence converges to sqrt{2}.

So I have found that sqrt{2} is a stable fixed point and -sqrt{2} is an unstable fixed point.

Now I have to prove my findings using a standard test for convergence?

Can anyone help.
How are you getting sqrt(2)? As x --> infinity, (x + 2)/(x + 1) --> 1.

Mark44 said:
How are you getting sqrt(2)? As x --> infinity, (x + 2)/(x + 1) --> 1.

its a fixed point iteration scheme. this specific case you can derive from Newtons method to find the zeros of x^2-2.

But what do the zeroes of x^2 - 2 have to do with (x + 2)/(x - 1)?

Hi all,

I need help to show that the following sequence converges:

n^n/ ((n + 3)^ (n + 1))

I can't seem to find any standard limits which can help prove that it is convergent.

now consider the limit as

Mark, the iteration is [itex]x_{n+1}= y(x_n)[/itex] or
[tex]x_{n+1}= \frac{x_n+ 2}{x_n+1}[/itex]

Assuming that has a limit, L, taking the limit on both sides gives
[tex]L= \frac{L+2}{L+ 1}[/tex]
and from that, [itex]L(L+1)= L^2+ L= L+ 2[/itex] so that [itex]L^2= 2[/itex].

henry22, you should be able to show that
1) If [itex]x_0> \sqrt{2}[/itex] then [itex]\{x_n\}[/itex] is a decreasing sequence with lower bound.

2) If [itex]x_0< \sqrt{2}[/itex] then [itex]\{x_n\}[/itex] is an increasing sequence with upper bound.

henry22 said:
Hey guys,

Wouldn't an initial value of -1 also be a problem? Also the sequence of starting values -3/2, -7/5, -17/12 ... which reach the value -1 at some stage of iteration.

Last edited:
HallsofIvy said:
... If [itex]x_0< \sqrt{2}[/itex] then [itex]\{x_n\}[/itex] is an increasing sequence with upper bound.
No, if [itex]x_0=-\sqrt{2}[/itex] then [itex]x_n=-\sqrt{2}[/itex]. Also if [itex]x_0=-5/4[/itex] then [itex]x_1=-3<x_0[/itex].

Neither do positive terms behave as suggested. E.g. from the second example [itex]x_2=\frac{1}{2}[/itex], [itex]x_3=\frac{5}{3}>x_2[/itex], [itex]x_4=\frac{11}{8}<x_3[/itex] and [itex]x_5=\frac{27}{19}>x_4[/itex], so the sequence is neither monotonic increasing from [itex]x_2<\sqrt{2}[/itex] nor monotonic decreasing from [itex]x_3>\sqrt{2}[/itex].

Last edited:
HallsofIvy said:
Mark, the iteration is [itex]x_{n+1}= y(x_n)[/itex] or
[tex]x_{n+1}= \frac{x_n+ 2}{x_n+1}[/itex]

Assuming that has a limit, L, taking the limit on both sides gives
[tex]L= \frac{L+2}{L+ 1}[/tex]
and from that, [itex]L(L+1)= L^2+ L= L+ 2[/itex] so that [itex]L^2= 2[/itex].

henry22, you should be able to show that
1) If [itex]x_0> \sqrt{2}[/itex] then [itex]\{x_n\}[/itex] is a decreasing sequence with lower bound.

2) If [itex]x_0< \sqrt{2}[/itex] then [itex]\{x_n\}[/itex] is an increasing sequence with upper bound.
Thanks!

What is the definition of convergence?

The definition of convergence in mathematics is the process by which a sequence of terms approaches a specific value or limit as the number of terms increases. In other words, the terms in the sequence get closer and closer to a certain value as the sequence progresses.

How can I prove that a sequence converges?

To prove that a sequence converges, you can use the epsilon-N definition of convergence. This means showing that for any positive number epsilon, there exists a corresponding value of N (the number of terms) such that all terms in the sequence after N are within epsilon distance from the limit. This shows that the terms in the sequence are getting closer and closer to the limit, proving convergence.

What is the difference between absolute and conditional convergence?

Absolute convergence refers to a sequence that converges regardless of the order in which the terms are added. This means that the sum of the terms will always approach a specific value. Conditional convergence, on the other hand, refers to a series that only converges if the terms are added in a specific order. If the terms are added in a different order, the sum may not approach a specific value.

What is the role of the limit in showing convergence?

The limit is the value that the terms in the sequence are approaching. It is the key element in proving convergence because it represents the value that the terms are getting closer to. Without a limit, it is not possible to prove convergence.

Are there any common methods for showing convergence?

Yes, there are several common methods for showing convergence, including the epsilon-N definition, the ratio test, the root test, and the comparison tests. Each method has its own criteria and steps for proving convergence, and it is important to choose the method that is most suitable for the given sequence.