University of New Mexico Vs University of Nebraska–Lincoln

• Schools
  • Thread starter uskalu
  • Start date
  • Tags
    University
In summary, both the University of New Mexico and the University of Nebraska–Lincoln have strong physics programs with research opportunities in Material Physics and BioPhysics. Consider your research interests and goals, and gather information from the departments' websites and through conversations with professors and students to determine which university is the best fit for you.
uskalu
Hello,
I going to apply for the graduate Physics program of these universities. (I'm not a US citizen)

University of New Mexico.
University of Nebraska–Lincoln.

My research interest are Material Physics and BioPhysics.
I went through the department web sites and AIP web site(http://www.aip.org/statistics/) to gather information. Still I can't conclude which one is suit for me.

Some times I felt University of Nebraska has more reputation than University of New Mexico. However University of New Mexico also has lots of National labs facilities!

Please give me your valuable ideas about the physics program of above universites.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Both universities offer excellent graduate programs in physics, so you would be in good hands regardless of which university you choose. It is ultimately up to you to decide which university best suits your research interests and goals. The University of New Mexico offers research opportunities in Material Physics and BioPhysics through its departments of Physics and Astronomy, Chemistry and Biochemistry, and Electrical & Computer Engineering. Additionally, the National Laboratories located nearby can provide students with valuable research opportunities. At the University of Nebraska–Lincoln, the Department of Physics and Astronomy offers research opportunities in Material Physics and BioPhysics, as well as in other areas such as Condensed Matter Physics, Quantum Materials, Nanoscience, and more. With an extensive network of research collaborations, UNL provides learners with numerous opportunities to gain hands-on experience. It is important to consider which university has the faculty and resources that best align with your specific interests and goals. Talk to professors and students from both universities to get a better understanding of what they offer and how their programs compare to each other. This way, you can make an informed decision on which university is right for you.

1. What are the main differences between the University of New Mexico and the University of Nebraska-Lincoln?

The University of New Mexico (UNM) and the University of Nebraska-Lincoln (UNL) have several differences, including location, size, and academic offerings. UNM is located in Albuquerque, New Mexico, while UNL is located in Lincoln, Nebraska. UNM has a total enrollment of around 25,000 students, while UNL has a total enrollment of around 26,000 students. UNM offers over 200 degree programs, while UNL offers over 170 degree programs.

2. Which university has a higher ranking?

According to the 2021 edition of U.S. News & World Report's "Best Colleges" rankings, the University of Nebraska-Lincoln is ranked #139 in National Universities, while the University of New Mexico is ranked #187. However, rankings should not be the only factor considered when choosing a university, as different schools may excel in different areas.

3. What is the cost difference between attending UNM and UNL?

The cost of attending a university can vary depending on factors such as residency status, housing, and meal plans. However, in general, the University of Nebraska-Lincoln has a slightly higher cost of attendance than the University of New Mexico. According to College Board, the average cost of attendance (including tuition, fees, room, and board) for in-state students at UNL is $22,632, while the average cost for in-state students at UNM is $20,992.

4. Do both universities offer a diverse student population?

Both the University of New Mexico and the University of Nebraska-Lincoln have diverse student populations. According to their respective websites, around 44% of students at UNM are from ethnic minority groups, and around 11% are international students. At UNL, around 17% of students are from ethnic minority groups, and around 5% are international students.

5. What are some notable alumni from UNM and UNL?

Both UNM and UNL have produced successful and notable alumni. Some notable alumni from UNM include astronaut Harrison Schmitt, Pulitzer Prize-winning author Rudolfo Anaya, and former U.S. Senator Jeff Bingaman. Some notable alumni from UNL include billionaire investor Warren Buffett, actor Marlon Brando, and former Secretary of Defense Chuck Hagel.