Can h(x)=(cos x)^x be written as a composition of two functions f and

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of writing h(x)=(cos x)^x as a composition of two functions, f and g, where f(x)=x^n and g(x)=cosx. However, it is noted that the notation must be carefully considered and the standard "power law" for differentiation does not apply when the exponent is a variable. The conversation concludes by suggesting the use of logarithms and exponent properties to manipulate the expression.
PeterPumpkin
Can h(x)=(cos x)^x be written as a composition of two functions f and g where f(x)=x^n and g(x)=cosx ? where h=fog

REASON FOR ASKING: I am wondering this in connect with a differentiation I was having trouble with (but can now solve thanks to this forum). I mistakenly thought that I could apply the chain rule for composition of functions. Seems it doesn't apply. (https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=2796762#post2796762)

Mathematics news on Phys.org

You need to be careful with notation. In your example
[tex]h(x)=f\circ g(x)=(\cos(x))^n[/tex]
where you have a different variable in the exponent. So all rules you know are valid without exception, but you have to get the notation right.

You could also try
f(x)=a^x or f(x,n)=x^n
but you'll notice that at some point the expression won't match what you have in your rules.

It can't, because in h(x) the exponent is x, the variable, while in f(x) the exponent is a constant. This makes an important difference when you are differentiating because the standard "power law" only applies when the exponent is constant.

Gib Z said:
It can't, because in h(x) the exponent is x, the variable, while in f(x) the exponent is a constant. This makes an important difference when you are differentiating because the standard "power law" only applies when the exponent is constant.
Specifically, the derivative of xa, with a constant, is axa-1 while the derivative of ax is (ln(a))ax.

Thanks. I can see my mistake --- there's no way to define f(x) to satisfy the requirements.

There is. Remember that [tex]f(x) = e^{\ln f(x)}[/tex]

1. Can h(x)=(cos x)^x be written as a composition of two functions f and g?

Yes, h(x) can be written as a composition of two functions f and g. This can be shown by letting f(x) = cos x and g(x) = x. Therefore, h(x) = f(g(x)) = (cos x)^x.

2. What is the domain of h(x)=(cos x)^x?

The domain of h(x) is all real numbers except for x = 0 and x = (2n + 1)π, where n is an integer. This is because the value of h(x) is undefined at these points due to the presence of a zero in the denominator of the exponent.

3. Is h(x)=(cos x)^x an even or odd function?

h(x) is neither an even nor an odd function. An even function is symmetric about the y-axis, meaning that f(x) = f(-x) for all x in the domain. An odd function is symmetric about the origin, meaning that f(x) = -f(-x) for all x in the domain. However, h(x) does not satisfy either of these conditions.

4. What is the range of h(x)=(cos x)^x?

The range of h(x) is all positive real numbers greater than or equal to 1. This can be seen by analyzing the behavior of (cos x)^x for different values of x. As x approaches 0, the value of h(x) approaches 1. As x increases, the value of h(x) also increases, but it never reaches 0. This means that the range of h(x) is all positive real numbers greater than or equal to 1.

5. How does the graph of h(x)=(cos x)^x compare to the graph of y=cos x?

The graph of h(x) is similar to the graph of y=cos x, but it has a wider range of values. The graph of y=cos x is limited to values between -1 and 1, while the graph of h(x) can take on any positive value greater than or equal to 1. Additionally, the graph of h(x) has a point of discontinuity at x = 0, where the graph of y=cos x is continuous. Otherwise, the graphs have similar sinusoidal shapes.