Maximizing Speed on a Curved Road with Changing Friction Coefficient

In summary, the amusement park ride has a cylinder with a radius of 4.5 meters. If the coefficient of static friction between a rider and the wall is 0.46, then the minimum number of revolutions per minute necessary to prevent the rider from dropping is 270.36 revolutions per minute.
TraceBusta
i'm stuck on this one.
some bootleggers race from the police down a road that has a sharp, level curve with a radius of 30 m. As they go around the curve, the bootleggers squirt oil on the road behind them, reducing the coefficient of static friction from 0.66 to 0.18. When taking this curve what is the maximum speed of:
a) the bootlegger's car? b) the police car?

My free body diagram has w=mg in the negative y, and Fnormal in the positive y...cancelling out but because the problem doesn't involve any masses i assume that you don't need to find the force normal or weight. I don't know what else to draw on the free body diagram other than the force of static friction pointing to the center of the curve? I don't know where to start with this.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!
Try to answer the following question:
What force must provide the centripetal acceleration?

And secondly, how is centripetal acceleration related to velocity and radius of curvature?

the static friction provides the centripital acceleration? and i know that a=v^2/r so i need to find a somehow in order to solve for v. If I'm right with the static friction causing the centripital acceleration i still don't know how to solve for a.

Use F=ma! (insert v^2/r, and use the static friction as F)

using F=ma I don't understand how I could use that if there is no mass given, also the static friction is just a coefficient given so how could i use that as F?

Static friction F is a force, the static friction coefficient (mu) is a coefficient.
F=(mu)mg, so you get:
(mu)mg=mv^2/r

Thanks! I understand it now. I used r*(mu)*g=v^2 to solve for v.

I used the same setup for a following question, but I for some reason keep getting the wrong answer. The question is
In an amusement-park ride, riders stand with their backs against the wall of a spinning vertical cylinder--this ride is sometimes called a Silly Silo or a Cyclone. The floor falls away and the riders are held up by friction. If the radius of the cylinder is 4.5 m, find the minimum number of revolutions per minute necessary to prevent the riders from dropping when the coefficient of static friction between a rider and the wall is 0.46.

I use 4.5m*.46*9.81m/s^2=v^2 and v=4.506 m/s
Then I multiplied that by (60 s/1 min) to get 270.36 m/min. The circumfrence of the circle is 28.274 m from 2pi*r. So I divided that into the velocity and get 9.562 rev/minute but that is the wrong answer.

Remember in the cyclone the cetripetal force will be the normal force, (forces on x-axis) and on the y-axis we got the friction force pointin up and the weight pointing down.

Also a hint [tex] F_{f} = \mu N [/tex]

thanks, got it. I solved for v in (mu)(v^2/r)=g then found the rev/minute with that.

equation

How did you get mu(v^2/r)=g? It seems like it should be Ff=ma which would be mu*m*g=m(v^2/r). Btw, are you in physics 152 at Purdue?

austin zitro said:
How did you get mu(v^2/r)=g? It seems like it should be Ff=ma which would be mu*m*g=m(v^2/r). Btw, are you in physics 152 at Purdue?

Read my explanation.

1. What is motion along a curved path?

Motion along a curved path refers to the movement of an object or particle in a curved trajectory, rather than in a straight line. This type of motion is commonly observed in circular or rotational movements, as well as in the motion of projectiles or objects moving along a curved surface.

2. How is motion along a curved path different from motion in a straight line?

In motion along a curved path, the direction of the object or particle is constantly changing, whereas in motion in a straight line, the direction remains constant. Additionally, motion along a curved path involves a centripetal force that is directed towards the center of the curve, while motion in a straight line does not.

3. What is centripetal force and how does it relate to motion along a curved path?

Centripetal force is the force that acts on an object or particle to keep it moving in a curved path. It is always directed towards the center of the curve and is necessary for an object to maintain a curved trajectory. Without centripetal force, an object would continue in a straight line tangent to the curve.

4. How is the velocity of an object or particle affected by motion along a curved path?

In motion along a curved path, the velocity of an object or particle is constantly changing due to the changing direction of the motion. The speed may remain constant, but the direction of the velocity vector is always changing, resulting in an acceleration towards the center of the curve.

5. What are some real-life examples of motion along a curved path?

Some common examples of motion along a curved path include the motion of planets in their orbits around the sun, the swinging of a pendulum, the movement of cars around a curved track, and the spinning of a top. Other examples include the motion of a rollercoaster, the flight of a frisbee, and the trajectory of a thrown ball.