Resultant displacement with multiple segments

In summary, the conversation discusses two displacement problems and their solutions. The first problem involves John's travels on a straight interstate highway, while the second problem involves Bob's walks in opposite directions. Both problems require the inclusion of a negative sign to accurately represent the direction of the displacements.
Kdawg
I have to displacement problems that i can't get right.

While John is traveling along a straight interstate highway, he notices that the mile marker reads 233. John travels until he reaches the 155-mile marker and then retraces his path to the 172-mile marker. What is John's resultant displacement from the 233-mile marker?
I thought the answer for this one would be 61 but it is marked wrong.

Bob walks 57 m and then he walks 125 m. What is Bob's displacement if he walks east then west?
I thought the answer for this one would be 68 but it is marked wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
For the second problem, Try negative -68, cause he goes past the origin, to the negative side. Also, the first answer may be negative also, not sure though.

Thanks, that was it. for some reason I was thinking displacement couldn't be negative.

displacement is a vector quantity. all vector quantities are affected by direction. therefore all vector quantities should be labeled with a direction (wether it be shown with a positive/negative sign, bearing on a compass,etc)

Kdawg said:
I have to displacement problems that i can't get right.

While John is traveling along a straight interstate highway, he notices that the mile marker reads 233. John travels until he reaches the 155-mile marker and then retraces his path to the 172-mile marker. What is John's resultant displacement from the 233-mile marker?
I thought the answer for this one would be 61 but it is marked wrong.

Bob walks 57 m and then he walks 125 m. What is Bob's displacement if he walks east then west?
I thought the answer for this one would be 68 but it is marked wrong.

Both answers would have been correct had you included the negative sign for both. :smile:

What is resultant displacement with multiple segments?

Resultant displacement with multiple segments is a concept in physics that refers to the overall displacement of an object after it has traveled along multiple segments with different directions and magnitudes.

How is resultant displacement with multiple segments calculated?

To calculate resultant displacement with multiple segments, we use vector addition. This involves adding the individual displacements along each segment, taking into account their directions and magnitudes.

Can resultant displacement with multiple segments be negative?

Yes, resultant displacement with multiple segments can be negative. This occurs when the individual displacements along the segments cancel each other out, resulting in a net displacement in the opposite direction.

What is the difference between resultant displacement and total distance traveled?

Resultant displacement refers to the final position of an object after traveling along multiple segments, while total distance traveled refers to the sum of all the distances traveled along each segment. Resultant displacement takes direction into account, while total distance traveled does not.

How is resultant displacement with multiple segments used in real-life applications?

Resultant displacement with multiple segments is used in various real-life applications, such as navigation and motion analysis. It also plays a crucial role in understanding the motion of objects in physics and engineering.