Al3+ Concentration at pH 7 from AlCl3 Addition to Distilled Water

In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate the saturated concentration of [Al3+] at pH 7 when AlCl3 is added to distilled water. The relevant equations and constants are provided, and the method suggested is to multiply the solubility product for AlCl3 by 1/Kw and then by the solubility product for Al(OH)3. However, there is ambiguity in the question as to whether the [Al3+] concentration is being asked for after adding the AlCl3 or after finding a pH of 7.0.
deserthaze06
1. What is the saturated [Al3+] concentration at pH7 made by the addition of AlCl3 to distilled water?

2. AlCl3<-->Al3++3Cl-
3H2O<-->3H++3OH- Kw=1x10-14
Al3++3OH-<-->Al(OH)3 Ksp=3x10-34

3. I'm familiar with this type of problem, but not the way in which it's being asked. I hope I have included the equations and constants that are pertinent below. I would start by taking the Ksp for the precipitate and mulitplying it by 1/Kw. This multiplied by the solubility product for AlCl3 should give the equilibrium product for the whole equation, but I don't know how to get that.

Physics news on Phys.org
Unfortunately question is ambiguous. It is not entirely clear to me it if should be read as "you add AlCl3 to distilled water at pH 7.0, what is the resulting [Al3+]" or "you added AlCl3 to distilled water and you fund pH to be 7.0, what is [Al3+]". These are different problems.

I guess it has to be read the second way. If so... what is concentration of OH-?

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the purpose of measuring Al3+ concentration at pH 7?

The measurement of Al3+ concentration at pH 7 is important because it allows scientists to understand the amount of aluminum present in a solution at a neutral pH. This information can be used to study the effects of aluminum on various processes and organisms.

2. How is the Al3+ concentration at pH 7 affected by the addition of AlCl3 to distilled water?

The addition of AlCl3 to distilled water results in an increase in the Al3+ concentration at pH 7. This is because the compound dissociates in water, releasing Al3+ ions which can then interact with the water molecules and increase the concentration of Al3+.

3. Is there a specific method for measuring Al3+ concentration at pH 7 from AlCl3 addition to distilled water?

Yes, there are various methods for measuring Al3+ concentration at pH 7 from AlCl3 addition to distilled water. Some common techniques include atomic absorption spectroscopy, ion chromatography, and colorimetry.

4. What factors can affect the accuracy of Al3+ concentration measurements at pH 7?

Several factors can affect the accuracy of Al3+ concentration measurements at pH 7, including the purity of the AlCl3 used, the quality of the distilled water, and the sensitivity of the measurement method. It is important to carefully control these factors to obtain accurate results.

5. Can the Al3+ concentration at pH 7 be manipulated by adjusting the pH of the solution?

Yes, the Al3+ concentration at pH 7 can be manipulated by adjusting the pH of the solution. At a higher pH, more Al3+ ions will be present in the solution, while at a lower pH, fewer Al3+ ions will be present. This is due to the change in the equilibrium between Al3+ and Al(OH)3 in different pH conditions.