Evaluate lim as x→3: (x/x-3) Int( sint/t dt )

• Thread starter Jbjohnson15
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit
In summary, the problem can't be solved, but there is a way to make the integral disappear: differentiate it. F(x)=\int_3^x{\frac{\sin(t)}{t}dt} and F^\prime(x)=sin(x)/x + sinx. F'(x) is sin(x)/x and can be calculated using the product rule. The limit of the expression is sin(3).
Jbjohnson15

Homework Statement

Evaluate the lim as x approaches 3 of (x/x-3) times the integral from 3 to x of (sint/t)dt

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
So, what did you already do to solve the problem?
How do you usually solve "0/0" situations?

I tried to evaluate this using the substitution method: making u=sint and du=costdt. Then that created a big jumbled incorrect mess. I don't know how to attack this problem.

One of the problems with this particular integral, is that you cannot solve it. So don't bother with solving this integral, it won't work. But there is a way to make this integral disappear: differentiate it. Now, I wonder, is there a way that you can solve a limit using derivatives...

[f(x+h)-f(x)]/h ? I'm really not sure. What would be the h? 3? I'm so lost.

How would you resolve a "0/0"-situation with the aid of derivatives?

L'hopital rule

L'hospital rule: so take the derivative of the top and the bottom of (x/x-3), thus giving you 1/1 times the integral. How will this make the integral disappear?

Your limit is

[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow 3}{\frac{x\int_3^x{\frac{\sin(t)}{t}dt}}{x-3}}[/tex]

Try applying l'Hopitals rule on that. You are correct that the integral will not disappear, but the limit will become simpler...

Ok, so after applying L'Hopitals rule, I ended up with the limit as x approaches 3 of [sin(x)/x + sinx]. That can't be right. I'm sorry that I am mathematically incompetent.

no, that can't be right, there should still be an integral in there...
For ease, define

[tex]F(x)=\int_3^x{\frac{\sin(t)}{t}dt}[/tex]

What is [tex]F^\prime(x)[/tex] (this is basically the fundamental theorem of calculus).

Now you want to calculate the derivative of xF(x). How would you do this? (hint: product rule)

According to the fundamental theorem of calculus, F'(x) equals f(x) or sin(x)/x. Now, upon calculating the derivative of xF(x), I use the product rule which will be x'F(x) + xF'(x). That gives me the integral from 3 to x of sin(t)/t dt + sinx.

Yes, that is correct. Now take the limit of that expression. What do you get?

Well, x is approaching 3, if I plug in 3, the integral will be from 3 to 3 making it zero. Then I'm left with sin(3)...

Yes, sin(3) seems to be the correct answer.

I cannot thank you enough for your patience and kindness. I truly appreciate your help. Thank you and God bless!

1. What is the limit of the given expression as x approaches 3?

The limit does not exist because as x approaches 3, the denominator (x-3) approaches 0, causing the expression to become undefined.

2. Why does the limit not exist in this case?

The limit does not exist because when the denominator of a rational function approaches 0, the function becomes undefined.

3. Is there a way to simplify the expression before taking the limit?

Yes, you can simplify the expression by factoring the numerator and simplifying the integral, which results in the expression (1/x)∫(sin t/t)dt. However, this does not change the fact that the limit does not exist.

4. Can the limit be evaluated using L'Hopital's rule?

No, L'Hopital's rule can only be applied to limits of the form 0/0 or ∞/∞. In this case, the limit is of the form 0/0, but the rule cannot be applied because it requires the expression to be a quotient of two functions, which is not the case here.

5. Are there any restrictions on the values of x for which the expression is defined?

Yes, the expression is undefined when x=3, as the denominator becomes 0. Therefore, x cannot equal 3 for the expression to be defined.