Why Use Odd Notation for Tensors in Linear Algebra?

In summary, the lecturer is using notation that is not standard in mathematics, and it can be confusing to try and understand.
Zorba
I've been looking through my notes for the last few weeks and i still do not see the reason for this use of notation that my lecturer uses, for example

We denote by [tex]M^{*} \otimes M \otimes M^{*}[/tex] the vector space of all tensors of type [tex]M \times M^{*} \times M \rightarrow \mathbb{R}[/tex], where M is a finite dimensional real vector space, and M* is the dual space of M.

So why not just say instead:

We denote by [tex]M \otimes M^{*} \otimes M[/tex] the vector space of all tensors of type [tex]M \times M^{*} \times M \rightarrow \mathbb{R}[/tex]

which seems far more natural to me than the first one (and less confusing too...), is there some reason for using the former rather than latter?

Physics news on Phys.org
Because when discussing tensors, the tensor product of vector spaces is used thus the notation with the [itex] \otimes [/itex] instead of the ordinary [itex] \times [/itex].

If the answer I've given you is not useful, could you, please, rephrase your question ? I may have not understood it properly.

Hi Zorba! :smile:

Using just one M, isn't M* defined as all thingys from M to R ? :confused:

dextercioby said:
Because when discussing tensors, the tensor product of vector spaces is used thus the notation with the [itex] \otimes [/itex] instead of the ordinary [itex] \times [/itex].

If the answer I've given you is not useful, could you, please, rephrase your question ? I may have not understood it properly.

What I mean is, if we are considering [tex]M^{*} \otimes M \otimes M^{*}[/tex] which means [tex]M \times M^{*} \times M \rightarrow \mathbb{R}[/tex], so the argument is of the from (x,f,y) where f are linear forms, so since f are elements of M* and x,y is in M, then why don't we write [tex]M \otimes M^{*} \otimes M[/tex] instead?

Maybe this will clear things up:

Suppose instead of dealing with a three-place tensor, we are dealing with just a one-place tensor. Let T be such a one-place tensor.

Suppose T has an argument of the form (x) where x belongs to M. Then T must be a linear functional on M. So then T itself belongs to M* (the dual of M).

We see from this that M* is the vector space of all tensors of the same type as T, namely of type M --> R.

So if M* is the vector space of all tensors of type M --> R, then shouldn't we expect that M*[tex]\otimes[/tex]M* is the vector space of all tensors of type M x M --> R?

Ah, yes I see it now, thanks for that.

1. What is odd notation for tensors?

Odd notation for tensors is a way of representing tensors that involves using the terms "even" and "odd" to denote the symmetry or asymmetry of a tensor. This notation was developed by mathematician Élie Cartan in the early 20th century.

2. Why is odd notation used for tensors?

Odd notation for tensors is used because it simplifies the notation for certain types of tensors, making it easier to perform calculations and understand their properties. It also allows for a more concise representation of tensors that exhibit certain symmetries.

3. How does odd notation differ from traditional notation for tensors?

In traditional notation for tensors, indices are used to represent the symmetry or asymmetry of a tensor. In odd notation, the terms "even" and "odd" are used instead. For example, a tensor that is symmetric with respect to two indices would be denoted as (0,2) in traditional notation, but as (even, even) in odd notation.

4. Are there any limitations to using odd notation for tensors?

While odd notation can be helpful for certain types of tensors, it is not always applicable or convenient. It may not be suitable for tensors with more complex symmetries, and can sometimes be more confusing than traditional notation.

5. How can I learn more about odd notation for tensors?

There are many resources available for learning about odd notation for tensors, including textbooks, online tutorials, and lectures. You can also consult with mathematicians or physicists who are familiar with this notation to gain a better understanding of its applications and limitations.