Fundamental Group of lens space

In summary, the fundamental group of a lens space is a mathematical concept used in topology to describe the fundamental building blocks of the space. It is calculated using the Seifert-van Kampen theorem and is an important topological invariant with applications in various areas of mathematics. It can be infinite and is related to the higher homotopy groups, as well as the first homology and cohomology groups of the space.
seydunas
Hi

i want to see why the fundamental group of lens space L(p,q) is Z_p. Can you help me?

Physics news on Phys.org
seydunas said:
Hi

i want to see why the fundamental group of lens space L(p,q) is Z_p. Can you help me?

I think that lens spaces are covered by the 3 sphere by the action of the cyclic group, Z/pZ

So;

i have to ask again why that lens spaces are covered by the 3 sphere by the action of the cyclic group Z/pZ

1. What is the fundamental group of a lens space?

The fundamental group of a lens space is a mathematical concept used in topology to describe the fundamental building blocks of the space. It is a group of all the possible loops that can be made in the space, where the starting and ending point of the loop are fixed. In other words, it is the set of all possible paths that can be taken in the space, up to homotopy equivalence.

2. How is the fundamental group of a lens space calculated?

The fundamental group of a lens space can be calculated using the Seifert-van Kampen theorem, which states that the fundamental group of a space can be obtained by combining the fundamental groups of smaller subspaces. In the case of a lens space, it can be calculated by decomposing the space into simpler spaces, such as circles, and then combining their fundamental groups using certain operations.

3. What is the significance of the fundamental group of a lens space?

The fundamental group of a lens space is an important topological invariant, meaning that it does not change even if the space is stretched, twisted, or deformed. It helps in distinguishing one lens space from another and is often used in classifying spaces in topology. It also has applications in other areas of mathematics, such as algebraic geometry and differential geometry.

4. Can the fundamental group of a lens space be infinite?

Yes, the fundamental group of a lens space can be infinite. This depends on the specific lens space in question. For example, the fundamental group of the 3-dimensional lens space L(3,1) is infinite, while the fundamental group of the 3-dimensional lens space L(3,2) is finite.

5. How does the fundamental group of a lens space relate to its homology and cohomology?

The fundamental group of a lens space is the first homotopy group and is related to the higher homotopy groups. It is also related to the first homology and cohomology groups of the space. In particular, the first homology group is isomorphic to the abelianization of the fundamental group, while the first cohomology group is dual to the fundamental group.