Bhabha Scattering Cross Section Derivation

• Thread starter eoghan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Scattering
In summary, the conversation discusses the derivation of the cross section of bhabha scattering using the "toy theory" and the issue of incorrect angular dependence due to not considering spin. The correct formula takes into account spin and gives factors of 1+cos^2θ for the annihilation diagram and 1+cos^2θ/2 for the exchange diagram. The value of the coupling constant g in the toy theory is e^4 E^2_{cm}/c^2.
eoghan
Hi!
I'm trying to derive the cross section of the bhabha scattering:
[tex]\frac{d\sigma}{d\Omega}=\frac{e^4}{32\pi ^2 E^2_{cm}}\left[ \frac{1+cos^4\frac{\theta}{2}}{sin^4\frac{\theta}{2}}-\frac{2cos^4\frac{\theta}{2}}{sin^2\frac{\theta}{2}}+\frac{1+cos^2 \theta}{2}\right] [/tex]

I'm using the "toy theory" where at each vertex of a feynman diagram I associate a factor -ig, for each internal line there corresponds a propagator 1/q^2. The formula I get is:

[tex]\frac{d\sigma}{d\Omega}=\frac{1}{64\pi ^2 E^2_{cm}}\left(\frac{g^2}{E^2_{cm}}\right)^2\left[ \frac{1}{sin^4\frac{\theta}{2}}-\frac{2}{sin^2\frac{\theta}{2}}+1\right] [/tex]

Now, the incorrect angular dependence comes from the fact that in the toy theory I don't consider the spin, I guess. Looking at the correct formula I guess that the spin dependence gives a factor of
[tex]1+cos^2\theta[/tex]
to the annihilation diagram and a factor of
[tex]1+cos^2\frac{\theta}{2}[/tex]
to the exchange diagram.
Is it right?

Then there is the problem of the value of the coupling constant g. The text says that it can't just be "e" because in the toy theory g has the value of a momentum, while in the real world it is dimensionless. So, what is the value of g? It should be
[tex]e^4E^2_{cm}[/tex]
in order to get the right expression?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, you are correct about the spin dependence giving the factors 1+cos^2θ for the annihilation diagram and 1+cos^2θ/2 for the exchange diagram.The value of g is indeed e^4 E^2_{cm}. This is because the momentum in the toy theory has the same dimension as the energy, so we need to convert the energy to a momentum by multiplying it with the speed of light c. Thus, the coupling constant is g=e^4 E^2_{cm}/c^2.

What is Bhabha scattering cross section derivation?

Bhabha scattering cross section derivation is a mathematical process used to calculate the probability of a high-energy electron scattering off a positron, resulting in the production of two particles.

Why is Bhabha scattering cross section derivation important?

Bhabha scattering cross section derivation is important because it helps us understand the fundamental interactions between particles and can be used to test the predictions of quantum field theories.

How is Bhabha scattering cross section derivation calculated?

Bhabha scattering cross section derivation is calculated by using the principles of quantum mechanics and special relativity to determine the probability of a high-energy electron and positron interacting and producing two particles.

What are the applications of Bhabha scattering cross section derivation?

Bhabha scattering cross section derivation has many applications in particle physics research, such as studying the properties of fundamental particles, testing the validity of theoretical models, and exploring the nature of the universe.

Are there any limitations to Bhabha scattering cross section derivation?

Like any theoretical derivation, Bhabha scattering cross section derivation has its limitations. It assumes certain simplifications and may not accurately predict the behavior of particles in all situations. Experimental data is essential for validating the results of the derivation.