Calculating the distance a satellite traveled

• Thread starter shemer77
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Satellite
In summary, the problem at hand is calculating the distance traveled by a satellite in a 12 day elliptical orbit with Earth focused at (3,0). The equation for the ellipse is given as 16x^2 + 25y^2 = 400. To find the distance traveled each day, one approach is to use an integral of √(25*sin(t)^2 + 16*cos(t)^2) dt with different limits of integration, but this would not yield an exact solution. Alternatively, a numerical approximation method can be used to calculate the distance traveled each day, starting from perigee.
shemer77

Homework Statement

Im trying to figure out how to calculate how much a satellite in an elliptical orbit travels around in a day. The satellite is in a 12 day orbit with Earth focused at (3,0). The equation i have for the ellipse is 16x^2 +25y^2 = 400. Other relevant information i have is the area that the satellite covered total every day, along with a and b coordinates for where it is every day, however I am having trouble cacluating the distance it travels day by day.

The Attempt at a Solution

My first intution was to use the ∫ of √(25*sin(t)^2 + 16*cos(t)^2) dt and then just change the limits of integration, but I am not sure if that would be right and what would i set the limits too?

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you expected to compute the arclength along the ellipse analytically or numerically? I ask because I believe you are going to have little success getting a function that expresses the arclength. What you have on your hands is an "elliptic integral of the second kind": there is an exact value for the full perimeter of the ellipse, but the problem (a fairly old one) of finding the distance along an arbitrary arc along the ellipse does not produce an arclength integral with an antiderivative "in closed form".

Applying the Pythagorean Identity to your integral (which looks correct to me) gives us [itex]\int_{t_{1}}^{t_{2}} \sqrt{25 - 9 \cos^{2} t } dt [/itex] , which now has the typical form of such an elliptic integral. Unfortunately, not much can be done with this in exact form. You will need to use a numerical approximation method to get arclength values for each day, starting, say, from perigee.

What is the formula for calculating the distance a satellite traveled?

The formula for calculating the distance a satellite traveled is distance = velocity x time. This is based on the equation of motion, where an object's distance is equal to its velocity multiplied by the time it has been traveling.

How is the velocity of a satellite determined?

The velocity of a satellite is determined by its orbital speed, which is affected by the mass of the satellite and the force of gravity from the object it is orbiting. The velocity can also be calculated using the satellite's period of orbit and the radius of its orbit.

What units are used to measure the distance a satellite traveled?

The distance a satellite traveled is usually measured in kilometers (km) or miles (mi). However, for more precise calculations, scientists may use units such as meters (m) or even astronomical units (AU).

Can the distance a satellite traveled be calculated using its altitude?

Yes, the distance a satellite traveled can be calculated using its altitude. This is because the altitude of a satellite is directly related to the radius of its orbit, which is a key factor in calculating distance traveled.

What are some real-world applications of calculating the distance a satellite traveled?

Calculating the distance a satellite traveled is important in various fields, such as satellite navigation, space exploration, and satellite communication. It allows scientists to track the movement of satellites and predict their positions, which is crucial for accurate communication and navigation systems.