Subtracting centrifugal acceleration from acceleration caused by movement

In summary, the speaker has been experimenting with dead reckoning on an RC plane by attaching a GPS, 3-axis gyroscope, and 3-axis accelerometer. They have noticed that when the plane turns, the readings become inaccurate due to centrifugal acceleration. They are trying to figure out how to subtract this observed acceleration from the acceleration caused by movement. They have identified the formula for centrifugal force and are attempting to calculate the radius and angular velocity in order to calculate the centrifugal acceleration. They are unsure if they are on the right track.
sparkk
I've been playing around with dead reckoning stuff on an rc plane by attaching a gps, 3 axis gyroscope, and 3 axis accelerometer to the plane.

When the plane isn't turning, my algorithm works pretty well however when I enter a turn, the readings get way off. Specifically, the plane appears to be moving at a faster velocity than it actually is thus all turns are overshot.

I believe I see this due to centrifugal acceleration and would like to cancel it out, but I'm getting quite lost, especially with 3d vectors. How might I go about subtracting this observed acceleration from acceleration caused by movement?

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Let me add what I have identified so far.. for at least identifying what I believe to be the acceleration component I need to subtract:

F = ma[itex]_{c}[/itex] = (mv[itex]^{2}[/itex])/ r = mrw[itex]^{2}[/itex]

The definitions are standard as of this wiki page:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centripetal_force

I know:
(gps) speed = v
(gyroscope) angular velocity = w

I can calculate r via:
(mv[itex]^{2}[/itex])/ r = mrw[itex]^{2}[/itex]
v[itex]^{2}[/itex]/ r = rw[itex]^{2}[/itex]
v[itex]^{2}[/itex] = r[itex]^{2}[/itex]w[itex]^{2}[/itex]
r[itex]^{2}[/itex] = v[itex]^{2}[/itex] / w[itex]^{2}[/itex]
r = [itex]\sqrt{v^{2} / w^{2}}[/itex]

With r and w known, I can now calculate [itex]a_{c}[/itex] as follows:
m[itex]a_{c}[/itex] = m[itex]rw^{2}[/itex]
[itex]a_{c}[/itex] = [itex]rw^{2}[/itex]

Am I anywhere close to being on the right track? :rofl:

1. What is centrifugal acceleration?

Centrifugal acceleration is the apparent outward force experienced by an object in circular motion, caused by the inertia of the object trying to maintain a straight-line path.

2. How is centrifugal acceleration calculated?

Centrifugal acceleration can be calculated using the formula a = v^2/r, where a is the centrifugal acceleration, v is the velocity of the object, and r is the radius of the circular path.

3. How does centrifugal acceleration affect an object's movement?

Centrifugal acceleration causes an object to move away from the center of the circular path it is following. It also adds to the overall acceleration experienced by the object.

4. Why is it important to subtract centrifugal acceleration from overall acceleration?

Subtracting centrifugal acceleration from overall acceleration allows for a more accurate measurement of an object's true acceleration, as it eliminates the effects of circular motion.

5. How is centrifugal acceleration subtracted from overall acceleration?

To subtract centrifugal acceleration from overall acceleration, the two accelerations must be in opposite directions. This can be achieved by using vectors or by using the formula a = √(atotal^2 - acentrifugal^2), where atotal is the overall acceleration and acentrifugal is the centrifugal acceleration.