Differential equation to represent circuit

In summary, the problem of finding a differential equation that relates the input current i1(t) to the output voltage e0(t) in the given circuit has been solved. The suggested approaches include keeping R2 in the equations and using mesh currents or converting ii(t) and R1 into a Thevenin equivalent. The student also caught a mistake in their calculations and was able to verify their work using Laplace transformations.
TigerBrah
**edit** This problem has been solved.For the circuit shown in the figure, find a differential equation the relates the input current i1(t) to the output voltage e0(t). Note that you cannot take a KVL across a current source because you cannot figure out the voltage drop across it.

the circuit:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/70948910@N08/6412941773

my work so far:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/70948910@N08/6413318181/Am I on the right track? We never had any problems with a current source during the lectures, and I don't know if I can set the voltages of parallel branches equal like that.

Any ideas will be greatly appreciated! It has been very tough getting in touch with my professor over Thanksgiving break and this assignment is due tomorrow.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi TigerBrah, welcome to Physics Forums.

You're doing pretty well with the problem, but I think you'll want to keep R2 in the equations (rather than substituting eo), since R2 influences the current in its branch. If you solve for the differential equation for the branch current, multiplying it through by R2 will give you the equation for the output voltage.

Another approach would be to use mesh currents. The first loop's mesh current is set by the input current, so you only have one loop to deal with.

Yet another approach would be to convert ii(t) and R1 into a Thevenin equivalent voltage source and series resistance. Then you'd have a simple voltage divider to solve!

Thanks gneill!

Using Mesh Currents is definitely the fastest way. I reworked the problem and got almost the same answer as above, but I also caught a mistake. My last term should be divided by R1.

I was also able to check my work using a secondary method we learned in class using Laplace transformations.

I appreciate your help!

Hey, glad to help :smile:

I would like to provide a response that is based on the principles of circuit analysis and differential equations.

Firstly, it is important to note that the circuit shown in the figure is a series-parallel circuit, where the current i1(t) splits into two parallel branches, one containing a capacitor and the other containing a resistor and an inductor.

To find the differential equation that relates the input current i1(t) to the output voltage e0(t), we can use Kirchhoff's voltage law (KVL) to analyze the circuit. Since the voltage drop across a current source cannot be determined, we can apply KVL to the two parallel branches separately.

For the branch containing the capacitor, KVL gives us:

i1(t)R + e0(t) = 0

Where R is the resistance in the branch.

For the branch containing the resistor and inductor, KVL gives us:

i1(t)R + L(di2/dt) + e0(t) = 0

Where i2 is the current in this branch.

Now, since the two branches are in parallel, the current i1(t) is the same in both branches. Therefore, we can set the two equations equal to each other:

i1(t)R + e0(t) = i1(t)R + L(di2/dt) + e0(t)

Rearranging this equation, we get:

L(di2/dt) = 0

This differential equation relates the input current i1(t) to the output voltage e0(t) of the circuit.

In summary, to represent this circuit using a differential equation, we can use Kirchhoff's voltage law to analyze the circuit and then set the equations for the two parallel branches equal to each other. This will give us a differential equation that relates the input current to the output voltage.

What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that describes how a quantity changes over time or in relation to other variables. It involves derivatives, which represent the rate of change of the quantity.

How are differential equations used to represent circuits?

Differential equations are used to represent circuits by describing the relationships between the voltage, current, and resistance in the circuit. These equations can be solved to determine the behavior of the circuit over time.

What is Kirchhoff's voltage law and how is it related to differential equations?

Kirchhoff's voltage law states that the sum of the voltages around a closed loop in a circuit must equal zero. This law is related to differential equations because it can be used to create equations that represent the voltage drops in a circuit.

What is the difference between a differential equation and an algebraic equation?

The main difference between a differential equation and an algebraic equation is that a differential equation involves derivatives, while an algebraic equation does not. This means that a differential equation describes how a quantity changes over time, while an algebraic equation represents a relationship between variables at a specific point in time.

What are some common applications of using differential equations to represent circuits?

Differential equations are commonly used in electrical engineering and physics to model and analyze electrical circuits. They can help predict the behavior of circuits and aid in the design of electronic devices such as radios, computers, and smartphones.