Need some guidance (second degree, final career)

In summary: Check out job postings; see if any of the fields you are considering have openings.-Talk to your parents/ guardians; they might be able to help pay for school.
tklnrg
Hello,

My background info:

- Completed B.Sc in Math/Physics in april 2011 from a university in Canada. (GPA 2.8)

- The first 2 years of study my grades weren't very good (1.8 to 2.3) and I was questioning what I wanted to do as a career the entire time. I ended up so far in I figured I might as well just finish it rather than drop out and face the self-shame of doing so.

- Grades improved after I specialized, My GPA for the last 2 years was 3.3 in 300-400 level courses.

- After graduation I came across a childhood friend who owns a small IT company (2 people) and he offered me a junior position doing system administration (desktop support, networking, servers, etc). I took the job and am currently working for around $4000/month gross.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dilemma:

After working the past year and delving further into IT, I've hit a crossroads on what I want to do for the rest of my life. I looked back to what I wanted to do as a kid ("scientist", whatever that means) and have decided that I want to go back and get a second bachelors in something in-demand and related to my interest. Something where I am employable but the option to do grad school is in the cards as well.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What I've narrowed my choices down to:
- Geology (honors)
- Geophysics
- Engineering (Petroleum or Civil/geotechnical)

The problem I'm trying to work out is if I can handle another 4-5 years of school enrolled in engineering or take geology, geophysics, use my transfer credits, and complete either degree in 2.5 years (3 if I sign up for an intern/co-op program). I know that the fields are quite different, so comparing them is pointless, but I'd be happy in any of the 3.

If anyone can shed some light on their experiences in these professions I would be grateful. I just know that I want to go back but I'm more worried about the financial and logistical parts of going back to school while living on my own (with the GF) and on very little income. I'm going to save as much money as possible at my current job but even then I know I'll incur a decent amount of debt going back either way.

Let me know if you have any advice for me, I know there has to be a few people in my position as well.

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't have experience, but I have some ideas that might be helpful.

-Check to see what the credits required for each of the degrees are (this will be different depending on what school you go to). You might not have to go back for as long as you think you will.
-See if any of those credits are available at community colleges; this will help you cut down on costs.
-See if taking classes part time, while continuing your job is a reasonable option (The CC might help with this).

wouldn't a degree in physics/math already take out atleast half of the stuff you would of needed for engineering anyway?

1. What are the benefits of pursuing a second degree?

Pursuing a second degree can provide individuals with a deeper understanding of their field of interest, expand their knowledge and skill set, and increase job opportunities and earning potential. It can also demonstrate a commitment to personal and professional growth and development.

2. How long does it typically take to complete a second degree?

The time it takes to complete a second degree can vary depending on the program and the individual's schedule. On average, it can take 2-4 years to complete a bachelor's degree and 1-2 years to complete a master's degree.

3. Can I pursue a second degree in a different field?

Yes, you can pursue a second degree in a different field from your first degree. This can be a great way to explore new interests or switch career paths. However, keep in mind that some programs may require prerequisite coursework or experience in the field.

4. Will my previous credits transfer towards a second degree?

It depends on the institution and the specific program. Some credits may transfer, while others may not. It's best to check with the admissions office of the program you are interested in to determine their transfer credit policies.

5. How do I know if pursuing a second degree is the right choice for me?

The decision to pursue a second degree is a personal one and will depend on your individual goals and circumstances. Consider your interests, career aspirations, and potential benefits of a second degree. It may also be helpful to speak with a career counselor or academic advisor for guidance.