What are some options for a physics major unsure about grad school?

In summary: If you want to go into industry, you'll probably be looking at engineering. Maybe if you like what you work in you can later get a masters/PhD in that field.
sjohnson80
Hey guys.

I'm about to graduate from college with a B.S. in physics from a California State University, and I don't really know what to do next. I used to think the next step was grad school, but now I'm not so sure. My grades are about a 3.1 GPA, I have no internship / real field experience, and I didn't do so well on the physics GRE (< 50th percentile), so it seems like I'd maybe like to try something else. Hopefully related to physics / mathematics, but it could be pretty detached. I guess my main question is, was / is anyone on the forum in my position, and would there be any guidance for someone like me? I know this question is somewhat difficult to answer, but really anything is appreciated.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
You should look into engineering. There are lots of great careers out there in engineering. Decide which branch of engineering interests you the most, then go get an MS in that, which you could probably do in two years.

I didn't do so well on the PGRE, if I remember I was right about 50%, I think a little under. Meh, the test was too fast for me, and I didn't really study correctly. But enough with my excuses.

Sounds as though grad school may not be the best thing for you right now. If you want to go into industry, you'll probably be looking at engineering. Maybe if you like what you work in you can later get a masters/PhD in that field.

As for me, my situation was a bit different. My grades, especially in physics, were very good, and I had a lot of research experience. I applied to physics and ECE, and decided to go into ECE for optics. I'm actually pretty happy about it. I still take physics classes, along with engineering classes, and do a lot of physics in my research. I feel as though I have a lot of options right now, and will when I graduate (years away). I feel as though the number of opportunities I have in ECE may not be possible with a physics degree. These are just my opinions though, and maybe I'll be proven wrong.

Last edited:

1. What is "Lost at the end of Undergrad." about?

"Lost at the end of Undergrad." is a term used to describe the feeling of confusion and uncertainty many college students experience during their final year of undergraduate studies. It refers to the struggle to find direction and purpose after graduation.

2. Why do students often feel lost at the end of their undergraduate studies?

There are multiple reasons why students may feel lost at the end of their undergraduate studies. These can include the pressure to make major life decisions, fear of the unknown, and the realization that their academic journey is coming to an end.

3. What are some common challenges faced by students who feel lost at the end of undergrad?

Some common challenges include difficulty finding a job or career path, feeling unprepared for the "real world", and struggling with feelings of self-doubt and insecurity.

4. How can students cope with feeling lost at the end of undergrad?

There are several ways students can cope with this feeling, including seeking guidance and support from mentors or counselors, participating in career counseling or workshops, and taking time for self-reflection and exploration of interests and goals.

5. Is it normal to feel lost at the end of undergrad?

Yes, feeling lost at the end of undergrad is a common experience for many students. It is important to remember that this feeling is temporary and that with time, support, and self-discovery, students can find their path and thrive after graduation.