Do Particles Possess Identical Characteristics?

• Thread starter MathematicalPhysicist
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Particles
In summary, the conversation discusses a paper by a writer who is an advocate of bohmian mechanics and the possible influence of this on the paper. The title of the paper is intriguing and the content is mathematized, with a focus on treating spin of different particles equally. An example is given with an electron and a muon, both being spin 1/2 particles, and there is curiosity about how the equations would look for different types of particles. The conversation also mentions a computer simulation and a paper discussing the question of whether all particles are identical. The speaker believes that all particles are identical and can be modeled with the same linear force.
MathematicalPhysicist
Gold Member
http://math.rutgers.edu/~oldstein/papers/aapi.pdf

i haven't yet read it , but the writer is an advocate of bohmian mechanics so i guess there is an influence in this paper from bohm mech.
( ill read it tommorrow).
anyway i think with this kind of a title to paper it should catch some attention, don't you think?

Physics news on Phys.org
Quite interesting and mathematized this picture,but i couldn't see how he dealt with the problem itself:deing able to treat on equal footing spin different particles.He gave an example with an electron and a muon,which are both soin 1/2 particles.I wonder how his equations would look for an electron and a meson.

Daniel.

If the tiniest particle is of one type, then it should be possible to create a computer simulation where this can be show. eg. consider a particle G. as everything has gravity.

Came across the following when researching this subject:

Are All Particles Identical? by
Sheldon Goldstein, James Taylory, Roderich Tumulkaz, and Nino Zanghox PACS numbers 03.65.Ta. (foundations of quantum mechanics) published September 28, 2004

I subscribe to the view thar all particles are identical because it is a simple matter to construct a model where all particles carry the same linear force.

1. Are all particles identical?

No, not all particles are identical. In the Standard Model of particle physics, there are two types of particles: fermions and bosons. Fermions, which include particles such as electrons and quarks, have distinct properties such as mass and charge. On the other hand, bosons, which include particles like photons and gluons, can be identical and indistinguishable from one another.

2. What is meant by identical particles?

Identical particles are particles that have the same intrinsic properties, such as mass and charge, and cannot be distinguished from one another. This means that if two particles have the same properties, they are considered identical, regardless of their spatial or temporal separation.

3. How do scientists distinguish between identical particles?

Scientists use a concept called quantum statistics to distinguish between identical particles. This involves studying the behavior of particles in different scenarios, such as in a gas or in a solid. Depending on the statistical behavior of the particles, scientists can determine whether they are identical or not.

4. Can identical particles have different properties?

No, identical particles cannot have different properties. By definition, identical particles have the same intrinsic properties and cannot be distinguished from one another. This is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics and is supported by experimental evidence.

5. Are there any exceptions to the concept of identical particles?

Yes, there are some exceptions to the concept of identical particles. In certain scenarios, particles can exhibit properties that make them distinguishable, even if they have the same intrinsic properties. For example, in certain quantum systems, particles can become entangled and lose their individual identities, making them indistinguishable from one another.