Why does the reactivity of halogens decrease down the group?

• Thread starter sgstudent
  • Start date
In summary, the reactivity of halogens decreases down the group due to the increase in the average distance of outer p-electrons and the screening of nuclear charge. This results in a decrease in the affinity for gaining another electron. However, this does not solely determine reactivity as the stability of the product must also be considered. This is why Cl2 is more reactive than Br2, despite having stronger bonds. The stability of Cl- makes it more likely to form and thus, increases the reactivity of Cl2. The concept of equilibrium also plays a role in determining reactivity.
sgstudent
It is stated that for the halogens reactivity decreases down the group. Buy why is this so? Since they would form elements so since they should be stable hence eg chlorine being more reactive than bromine won't the bonds be stronger making it even less reactive? So I'm quite confused about this part here. Thanks for the help!

Chemistry news on Phys.org
sgstudent said:
It is stated that for the halogens reactivity decreases down the group. Buy why is this so? Since they would form elements so since they should be stable hence eg chlorine being more reactive than bromine won't the bonds be stronger making it even less reactive? So I'm quite confused about this part here. Thanks for the help!

As you go down the halogen group the average distance of the outer p-electrons increases and so does the screening of the nuclear charge. As a result the affinity for gaining another electron is decreased.

But aren't the bonds between Cl and Cl stronger than Br and Br. So why is chlorine more reactive than bromine since it should be harder to break those bonds? Since the explanation of the distance of valence electrons increases works only for atoms of the molecule of the elements meaning Cl and Br. Or am I wrong here, thanks so much for the help!

The reason that HCl is a stronger acid than HBr is that Cl- is less reactive than Br-. You have to consider the stability of the product, not just the bond energy. Equilibrium constants exist for a reason.

aroc91 said:
The reason that HCl is a stronger acid than HBr is that Cl- is less reactive than Br-. You have to consider the stability of the product, not just the bond energy. Equilibrium constants exist for a reason.

Um sorry I don't quite understand the equilibrium concept. I guessing its another factor to reactivity? Because what I'm thinking is that the Cl-Cl bond is stronger than Br-Br bond due to the reactivity of the chlorine atom. So won't it be harder to break the Cl-Cl bond and make it react? So why is Br2 less reactive than Cl2? Thanks for the help!

Last edited:
Cl2 is more reactive because Cl- is more stable than Br-. Bond energy is not the only factor. You have to consider the relative stability of reactants and products. In the case of Cl2 and Br2, Cl2 is more reactive because Cl- is more stable and there's not as much pressure (where the equilibrium concept comes into play) to remain as Cl2.

What are the halogens?

The halogens are a group of elements on the periodic table that include fluorine, chlorine, bromine, iodine, and astatine. They are highly reactive nonmetals and are located in group 17.

What is the trend in reactivity of the halogens?

The reactivity of the halogens decreases as you move down the group. This is due to the increase in atomic size and the decrease in electronegativity.

Why are the halogens reactive?

The halogens are reactive because they have 7 valence electrons and are only 1 electron away from having a stable octet. They are highly electronegative and easily gain an electron to achieve a full outer shell.

Which halogen is the most reactive?

Fluorine is the most reactive halogen. It has the smallest atomic size and the highest electronegativity, making it highly reactive and able to form strong bonds with other elements.

What are some common reactions of the halogens?

The halogens commonly react with alkali metals to form ionic compounds, such as sodium chloride (table salt). They also react with hydrogen to form hydrogen halides, and with nonmetals to form covalent compounds.