Virtual displacement and generalised forces

In summary: Partial derivative is not correct here then.F_{k}=δW/δq_{k} looks wrong to me. Probably a typo of δ for ∂ in both places. ∂W/∂q_{k} would be the limit of δW/δq_{k} as δq_{k} tends to zero.##\sum_{i} \vec{F}_i \cdot \frac{\partial \vec{r}_i}{\partial q_k}= \mathcal{F}_k = \frac{ \delta W}{\delta q_k} ##.
Gregg
I am unsure about the virtual displacement and work definition even after looking through the definition and seeming to understand it. If we have

## \delta W = \displaystyle \sum_{i} \vec{F}_i \cdot \delta \vec{r}_i ##,

I can use,

## \delta \vec{r}_i = \sum_{i} \frac{\partial \vec{r}_i}{\partial q_k} \delta q_k ##,

and get to

## \delta W = \displaystyle \sum_{k}\sum_{i} \vec{F}_i \cdot \frac{\partial \vec{r}_i}{\partial q_k} \delta q_k ##.

So,

##\delta W = \sum_{k} \mathcal{F}_k \delta q_k ##.

Then in the derivation it says that this imples that

##\sum_{i} \vec{F}_i \cdot \frac{\partial \vec{r}_i}{\partial q_k}= \mathcal{F}_k = \frac{ \delta W}{\delta q_k} ##.

I thought that ##\delta W = \sum_{k} \frac{\partial W}{\partial q_k} \delta q_k ## and ## \mathcal{F}_k = \frac{\partial W}{\partial q_k} ##. This seems to imply that:

## \delta W = \sum_{i} \frac{\delta W}{\delta q_k} \delta q_k ##,

so where is the distinction, because I can't work out when to use the deltas or ds?

Physics news on Phys.org
F[itex]_{k}[/itex]=δW/δq[itex]_{k}[/itex] looks wrong to me. Probably a typo of δ for ∂ in both places. ∂W/∂q[itex]_{k}[/itex] would be the limit of δW/δq[itex]_{k}[/itex] as δq[itex]_{k}[/itex] tends to zero.

Gregg said:
##\sum_{i} \vec{F}_i \cdot \frac{\partial \vec{r}_i}{\partial q_k}= \mathcal{F}_k = \frac{ \delta W}{\delta q_k} ##.

Here ##\delta W ## is the work done by all forces for virtual displacement ##\delta q_{k} ## while no change in other generalized coordinates.

Gregg said:
I thought that ##\delta W = \sum_{k} \frac{\partial W}{\partial q_k} \delta q_k ##

Don't forget that W depends on forces too, and the forces may depend on ##q_{k}##. Partial derivative is not correct here then.

haruspex said:
F[itex]_{k}[/itex]=δW/δq[itex]_{k}[/itex] looks wrong to me. Probably a typo of δ for ∂ in both places. ∂W/∂q[itex]_{k}[/itex] would be the limit of δW/δq[itex]_{k}[/itex] as δq[itex]_{k}[/itex] tends to zero.

The deltas are for virtual work / displacement not small change in ##q_k## etc.

Hassan2 said:
Here ##\delta W ## is the work done by all forces for virtual displacement ##\delta q_{k} ## while no change in other generalized coordinates.

Don't forget that W depends on forces too, and the forces may depend on ##q_{k}##. Partial derivative is not correct here then.

Right, so what is actually implied by ## \frac{\delta W}{\delta q_{k}} ##? If partial derivative is not correct, is there a correct way in terms of the partial derivatices to express this? and is this the formal way to do so with the ##\delta##s?

I'm not sure but in my opinion, since δqk is arbitrary, we can set infinitesimal value to it and write the ratio in terms of partial derivatives:

[itex]\frac{\delta W}{\delta q_{k}} \rightarrow \frac{\partial W}{\partial q_{k}}+\sum_{i}\frac{\partial W}{\partial F_{i}}\frac{\partial F_{i}}{\partial q_{k}}[/itex]

However I have never seem such formula perhaps because it's not useful. We often don't have W as a function readily.

What is virtual displacement?

Virtual displacement is a small, hypothetical movement or displacement of a system or object that does not actually occur in the physical world. It is used in physics and engineering to analyze the behavior of a system under small changes or perturbations.

What is the significance of virtual displacement in mechanics?

In mechanics, virtual displacement is used to calculate the virtual work done by a system under small changes or perturbations. This allows us to determine the equilibrium conditions and stability of a system, as well as the forces and displacements that would result from these changes.

What are generalized forces?

Generalized forces are a set of variables used to describe the forces acting on a system or object in a specific coordinate system. They are independent of the coordinate system and can be used to calculate the virtual work done by a system under small changes or perturbations.

How are virtual displacements and generalized forces related?

Virtual displacements and generalized forces are closely related, as the generalized forces are used to calculate the virtual work done by a system under small changes or perturbations. This work is equal to the product of the generalized forces and the virtual displacements.

What are some applications of virtual displacement and generalized forces?

Virtual displacement and generalized forces are widely used in various fields, including mechanics, physics, and engineering. They are particularly useful in analyzing the behavior of complex systems and structures, such as bridges, buildings, and vehicles, under small changes or perturbations.