Write the polynomials in x as polynomials of

• Thread starter JoshMaths
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Polynomials
In summary, to represent a polynomial in the form of another variable, you can use the formula f(x + h) = f(x) + f ' (x) h + f ''(x) h2/1.2. + f '''(x) h3/1.2.3 +... + f(n)hn/n!, and then convert it to f(x') by setting x' = x - 3. This approach is considered somewhat analytical as it involves derivatives, but it can also be done purely algebraically.
JoshMaths
The problem statement

Write the following polynomials in x as polynomials of (x-3)

Solution should be somewhat analytical in its approach.
How would you do something like this? What does it mean?

You can use any example to explain it, my specific homework question isn't necessary unless you want to see it.
eg: a) x^4
b) x^2-x-4

The attempt at a solution
i am guessing it is not as simple as
x = x - 3 but some guidance would be great.

Physics news on Phys.org
As I see it, it means you have to represent the polynomial in the form of another variable y = x-3. For example, f(x) = x + 10 would be changed to f(y) = y+13, where y = x-3.

Though this sounds too simple, somehow.

Yes this is what i thought also, maybe I just lucked out with a really easy question ;)

Hi JoshMaths! :smile:

(try using the X2 button just above the Reply box :wink:)

Show us your answer for x2 - x - 4, just to be on the safe side. :wink:

Got it, thanks for the tip ;)

And fwi i am doing college level maths haha so algebriac manipulations aren't the pressing issue but to make you happy...

"x2 - 7x + 8"

hmm …

that's the trouble with using the same letter to mean two different things :redface:
JoshMaths said:
Write the following polynomials in x as polynomials of (x-3)

i am guessing it is not as simple as
x = x - 3 but some guidance would be great.

x' = x - 3, and you need to convert from x to x'

(then you can rename it "x")

I would use the formula (which you can find explained early on - p.8 - in the book of Burnside and Panton* which I have mentioned earlier) which they state essentially as

f(x + h) = f(x) + f ' (x) h + f ''(x) h2/1.2. + f '''(x) h3/1.2.3 +... + f(n)hn/n!

You need to turn this around, you are trying to express in terms of a new variable x' = (x - 3). You have f(x); that equals f(x' + 3)
Develop that according to the above formula.

*(I commented this book in a thread called 'refer me to the best book in algebra' and I have just seen that it is available free online.)

This could be called "somewhat analytical in its approach" inasmuch as it uses derivatives. Although if you look harder you can see that you could redefine derivatives for polynomials in a finitistic purely algebraic way not involving limit concepts; they would be just the same formulae as the familiar ones. I think that may be what they have in mind by that phrase. If this is obscure not to worry - just do the calculation. :smile:

Last edited:

1. What is a polynomial?

A polynomial is an algebraic expression consisting of one or more terms, each of which is a variable raised to a non-negative integer power and multiplied by a coefficient. For example, 3x^2 + 2x + 5 is a polynomial with three terms.

2. How do you write a polynomial in x?

To write a polynomial in x, you must arrange the terms in descending order of the variable's exponent. For example, 2x^3 + 5x^2 + 3x + 1 is written as 2x^3 + 5x^2 + 3x + 1.

3. What does it mean to write a polynomial as polynomials of x?

Writing a polynomial as polynomials of x means expressing the polynomial as a sum of terms where each term is a power of x multiplied by a coefficient. This form makes it easier to manipulate and solve the polynomial.

4. How do you convert a polynomial to polynomials of x?

To convert a polynomial to polynomials of x, you must first identify the terms with the same variable. Then, you can factor out the variable and its corresponding exponent from each of those terms, leaving you with a simplified polynomial in terms of x.

5. Can you give an example of writing a polynomial as polynomials of x?

For example, if we have the polynomial 2x^3 + 5x^2 + 3x + 1, we can write it as (2x^2) * x + (5x) * x + 3x + 1. Then, we can further simplify it to 2x^2 * x + 5x * x + 3x + 1. Finally, we can write it as x(2x^2 + 5x + 3) + 1.