Zeta Function Convergence in Interval (0,1): Does It Tend to Zero?

• Thread starter Charles49
  • Start date
In summary: But what about for Re(s)<0?For Re(s)<0, the limit doesn't exist because the divergent factor in the denominator goes to infinity.
Charles49
Inside the interval $$(0, 1)$$ does the function
$$
\frac{-\zeta(s)}{s}
$$
tend to zero uniformly as $$\Im(s)$$ increases?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

Charles49 said:
$$
\frac{-\zeta(s)}{s}
$$

You must explain yourself a little more (or better): what do you mean by "in the interval [itex]\,\,(0,1)\,\,[/itex]" and then "as [itex]\,\,\Im(x)\to\infty\,\,[/itex]"? Do you mean the

real part of z remains in the unit interval while its imaginary part tends to zero or what?

DonAntonio

Sorry for not being clear. What I meant was

Suppose $$x\in(0,1).$$ Is this true
$$
\lim_{y\rightarrow\infty}\bigg\lvert\frac{\zeta(x+iy)}{x+iy}\bigg\rvert=0?
$$

The zeta function is analytic in that region. Why wouldn't the limit go to zero then?

Ok. I see. It make sense. Thanks Jackmell

I may not have that right. For example, the functioon [itex]f(z)=z[/itex] is also analytic in the region yet the limit
[tex]\lim_{y\to\infty} \left|\frac{f(z)}{z}\right|[/tex]
is not zero.

Here's what I suggest: I would just flat-out check it numerically first to see if it looks like it's indeed going to zero keeping in mind numeric trends may not reflect the actual limit. Now, if it looks to be the case, then I'd try and put a bound on zeta, for example, if zeta along that line has order such as [itex]O(\sqrt{z})[/itex], then the limit is obvously zero, in fact any order less than [itex]z[/itex] would mean the limit is zero. Thus, if the numeric results suggests its going to zero, then I'd try and determine it's order there.

Do you know (or can you prove) the following formula:

[tex]\zeta(s) = \frac{1}{s-1} + 1 - s \int_{1}^{\infty} \frac{u - \lfloor{u}\rfloor}{u^{s+1}} du[/tex]

which is valid for all [itex]s \neq 1[/itex] and for Re(s) > 0? I think that this formula can be used to prove that your limit goes to 0.

If this hint isn't helping, can you provide some more context? Such as, what have you already covered about the zeta function? Are you using a specific text?

Charles49 said:
$$
\frac{-\zeta(s)}{s}
$$

For complex [itex]\,\,s\,,\,\,Re(s)>0\,,\,\,s\neq 1\,\,[/itex] , we have the analytic cont. of the zeta function [tex]\zeta(s)=\frac{\eta(s)}{1-2^{1-s}}\,\,,\,\,\eta(s):=\sum_{n=1}^\infty\frac{(-1)^{n-1}}{n^s}\Longrightarrow -\frac{\zeta(s)}{s}=\frac{\eta(s)}{s(2^{1-s}-1)}[/tex]
Now, [tex]\,\,|2^{1-s}|=\left|e^{(1-s)Log(2)}\right|=e^{(1-Re(s))Log(2)}=2^{(1-Re(s))}\,\,[/tex][tex]\left|\eta(s)\right|\leq\sum_{n=1}^\infty\frac{1}{n^{Re(s)}}[/tex] so we have that [tex]\left|-\frac{\zeta(s)}{s}\right|\leq\frac{1}{|s|(2^{1-Re(s)}-1)}\sum_{n=1}^\infty\frac{1}{n^{Re(s)}}[/tex]
As [itex]\,\,0< Re(s)< 1\,\,[/itex] , the above series is divergent for any constant value of s, but the value

[itex]\,\,|s|\,\,[/itex] in the denominator diverges to infinity as well, so it is a matter of comparison between both divergent factors

in that fraction...

I guess you also must be aware of the fact that [tex]\,\,-\frac{\zeta(s)}{s}=\int_0^\infty\left\{\frac{1}{t}\right\}t^{s-1}dt\,\,[/tex] precisely for [itex]\,\,0<Re(s)<1\,\,[/itex] , so perhaps it'd be easier (?) to evaluate the limit according to this integral since as the imaginary

part of s increases to infinity the module of that power in the integral remains constant...

DonAntonio

Sorry for responding late. I had finals this week and I was buried in my books. I am very happy to see all these responses.

jackmell, I plotted the function and it is decreasing.

Petek and DonAntonio, thanks for the hints. I entered the following in Mathematica:

In[3]:= Limit[1/x*Sum[1/n^x, {n, 1, \[Infinity]}], x -> \[Infinity]]

Out[3]= 0

What does this mean?

Attachments

• Untitled-1.pdf
    15.6 KB · Views: 235
  • Untitled-2.pdf
    20.8 KB · Views: 213

Ok, I did what Pete suggested: I divided that expression by s, converted the integral into an infinite sum, and then took the antiderivative, and then took the limit. But I didn't do it rigorously.

Have you tried that approach?

Jackmell, Pete's suggestion works for Re(s)>0.

1. What is the Zeta Function?

The Zeta Function, denoted as ζ(s), is a mathematical function defined for complex numbers s whose real part is greater than 1. It is given by the infinite series ζ(s) = 1 + 1/2^s + 1/3^s + 1/4^s + ...

2. What does "convergence in interval (0,1)" mean?

This means that the Zeta Function is being evaluated at values between 0 and 1, including 0 and 1 themselves. It is a specific subset of the complex plane in which we are examining the behavior of the function.

3. Why is it important to study the convergence of the Zeta Function in the interval (0,1)?

The Zeta Function has many applications in mathematics, including number theory and physics. Understanding its behavior in a specific interval can help us make predictions and solve problems in these fields.

4. What does it mean for the Zeta Function to "tend to zero"?

When we say the Zeta Function tends to zero, we mean that as the value of s approaches 1 from either side, the value of the function gets closer and closer to 0. This can also be thought of as the function approaching 0 as s gets larger and larger.

5. Is the Zeta Function guaranteed to converge to 0 in the interval (0,1)?

No, the behavior of the Zeta Function is very complex and not fully understood. While it is known to converge to 0 for some values of s in the interval (0,1), it may not do so for all values. Further study and research is needed to fully understand its convergence behavior in this interval.