Can bursitis in my shoulder be permanently treated?

• Medical
  • Thread starter leroyjenkens
  • Start date
In summary: Bursitis can persist for a long time without a persistent cause, but it should eventually go away on its own if the cause is resolved.
leroyjenkens
I went to the doctor about my shoulder getting achy every once in a while and got an MRI done and the doctor said it was bursitis. Well, my shoulder has been a problem for a few years, ever since I hurt it punching my heavy bag. I felt a sharp pain in my shoulder after it happened, but I didn't go to the doctor or anything at the time. That was about 2 years ago. So I have permanent bursitis? He prescribed physical therapy and I used the rubber band thing to exercise my shoulder. I don't really know if that helped. The doctor made it sound like this is a permanent thing. That makes no sense to me. Could bursitis really persist forever without also accompanied by a persistent cause? It should eventually go away if that was what was causing my pain, right?

Anyone know of a way to treat bursitis and maybe get rid of it?

Biology news on Phys.org
leroyjenkens said:
I went to the doctor about my shoulder getting achy every once in a while and got an MRI done and the doctor said it was bursitis. Well, my shoulder has been a problem for a few years, ever since I hurt it punching my heavy bag. I felt a sharp pain in my shoulder after it happened, but I didn't go to the doctor or anything at the time. That was about 2 years ago. So I have permanent bursitis? He prescribed physical therapy and I used the rubber band thing to exercise my shoulder. I don't really know if that helped. The doctor made it sound like this is a permanent thing. That makes no sense to me. Could bursitis really persist forever without also accompanied by a persistent cause? It should eventually go away if that was what was causing my pain, right?

Anyone know of a way to treat bursitis and maybe get rid of it?
I'd get a second opinion.

http://www.webmd.com/osteoarthritis/guide/arthritis-bursitis

Since we do not allow diagnosis here, I am locking the thread.

Leroy, please see another doctor for a second opinion.

1. What is bursitis in the shoulder?

Bursitis is an inflammation of the bursa, which is a small fluid-filled sac that provides cushioning and reduces friction between bones, tendons, and muscles in the shoulder joint.

2. What causes bursitis in the shoulder?

Bursitis in the shoulder can be caused by repetitive movements, injury or trauma to the shoulder, overuse of the shoulder joint, or certain medical conditions such as arthritis or gout.

3. What are the symptoms of bursitis in the shoulder?

The most common symptoms of bursitis in the shoulder include pain, tenderness, and swelling around the affected area. There may also be stiffness and limited range of motion in the shoulder.

4. How is bursitis in the shoulder diagnosed?

A doctor will likely perform a physical exam and may order imaging tests such as X-rays or an MRI to confirm the diagnosis. They may also perform a procedure called an aspiration, where fluid is removed from the bursa for further testing.

5. What is the treatment for bursitis in the shoulder?

Treatment for bursitis in the shoulder may include resting the affected area, applying ice packs, taking anti-inflammatory medication, and physical therapy exercises. In severe cases, a doctor may recommend a corticosteroid injection or surgery to remove the inflamed bursa.