What is modulation in radio communication?

In summary, modulation is the process of varying a carrier wave in order to convey a desired signal. This can be achieved through different modulation schemes such as amplitude, frequency, and pulse modulation. AM, or amplitude modulation, involves varying the amplitude of the signal and its sidebands. FM, or frequency modulation, involves varying the frequency of the carrier wave within a certain range. PM, or pulse modulation, is typically used in radar to determine distance by modulating the pulse's frequency. It is important for those working with radar and radios to have a basic understanding of these modulation techniques. More information can be found through resources such as the ARRL handbook and online sources like telecom.tbi.net and answers.com.
Reshma

Computer science news on Phys.org
Hello,
Modulation is the process whereby some characteristic of a carrier wave is varied in accordance with a signal desired to be conveyed (ARRL handbook is a good resource for inquires of this type). The circuit responsible for performing this function is termed modulator. Naturally, there have been different modulation schemes developed and they fall into categories such as angle and pulse modulation.

working on radar and radios in my shop, we are at least requiered to know a basic understanding of modulation. i'll give you the brief summary of what AETC teaches my field.
AM - Amplitude Modulation
this is when the apmlitude of the signal and it's sidebands are varried by a certain percent. i believe that commerical radio is 80%.
FM - Frequency Modulation
this is when the carrier wave's freq is varried within a certain range. and i think that commerical radio is .05MHz
PM - Pulse Modulation
as far as i know, this isn't used in radio, but only in radar. the pulse's freq is modulated from a lower limit to a higher limit. it is used to determine distance. i'd say more about it, but I'm not sure what parts are classified.

http://telecom.tbi.net/mod1.html

Last edited by a moderator:
A good starting point as well: http://answers.com/main/ntquery?s=modulation%20

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you, it was quite interesting!

Modulation is the process of altering a radio signal in order to transmit information. It involves changing one or more properties of the signal, such as its amplitude, frequency, or phase, to represent the information being transmitted.

Why is modulation necessary in radio communication?

Modulation is necessary because it allows us to transmit information over long distances using radio waves. Without modulation, the signal would be too weak and distorted to carry any meaningful information.

What are the different types of modulation?

The three main types of modulation are amplitude modulation (AM), frequency modulation (FM), and phase modulation (PM). Other types include pulse modulation, digital modulation, and spread spectrum modulation.

How does modulation affect the quality of a radio signal?

The type of modulation used can greatly affect the quality of a radio signal. For example, FM is known for its high quality and clarity, while AM is more susceptible to noise and interference. The strength of the modulation also plays a role in signal quality.

How does modulation impact the data transmission rate in radio communication?

The type of modulation used can impact the data transmission rate, as different types of modulation have different bandwidth requirements and can transmit information at different rates. Digital modulation techniques, for example, allow for higher data transmission rates compared to analog modulation techniques.