Suspension calcluations, spring.

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the spring needed for a shock absorber in a new project. The speaker has provided a sketch and CAD drawings, and has calculated the total weight on the front axle, the length and angle of the suspension, and the desired compression of the spring. They are unsure if they have enough information to calculate the spring constant.
aleksander
Hello everyone!

I am working on a new project, and my boss asked me to do some calculations with regard to the spring needed for our shock absorber. I will add a few pictures to visualize what I mean.

For now, we should not pay attention to the hydraulic components - just the spring.

From my sketch (picture 1), we can see the right hand side front suspension (concept) and at picture 2, you can see the CAD drawings. If we stick with picture 1, I have calculated that the following:

F1 = Total weight on front axle / 2 = (150 kg * 9,81) / 2 = 736N pr side on the front suspension.

L = 492mm
l = 287mm
alpha = 38 degree angle

The spring should compress 15mm when the vehicle is standing on the floor with the previously mentioned loading. My goal is to figure out the spring constant (N/mm). Do I need more information, or is it possible to calculate that from what we have here?

Thank you :D

Attachments

• PaperCamera2012-08-08-13-55-08.jpg
    PaperCamera2012-08-08-13-55-08.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 423
  • PaperCamera2012-08-07-15-34-31.jpg
    PaperCamera2012-08-07-15-34-31.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 394
  • PaperCamera2012-08-07-15-17-18.jpg
    PaperCamera2012-08-07-15-17-18.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 407
Physics news on Phys.org
I am not sure if I understand the sketch, but my attempt to calculate it would be like this:
[itex]F_x l = F_1 L[/itex] (lever rule)
[itex]F_x = F_{spring} \cos(\alpha)[/itex]
Compression s in equilibrium is given by [itex]Ds=F_{spring}[/itex]
Combine the formulas and you can calculate D.

What is the purpose of suspension calculations?

The purpose of suspension calculations is to determine the appropriate spring rate for a vehicle's suspension system based on factors such as weight, tire size, and driving conditions. This ensures optimal performance and safety of the vehicle.

How is spring rate calculated?

Spring rate is calculated by dividing the force applied to the spring by the distance the spring is compressed. This results in a unit of force per unit of length, typically measured in pounds per inch (lb/in) or Newtons per millimeter (N/mm).

What factors affect suspension calculations?

Several factors can affect suspension calculations, including vehicle weight, tire size, driving conditions, and desired performance (e.g. smooth ride vs. sporty handling). Other factors such as shock absorber type, suspension geometry, and spring type can also play a role.

What is the difference between linear and progressive springs?

Linear springs have a constant spring rate, meaning the force required to compress the spring remains the same regardless of how much it is compressed. Progressive springs, on the other hand, have a variable spring rate, meaning the force required to compress the spring increases as it is compressed further.

Why is it important to get suspension calculations right?

Getting suspension calculations right is crucial for the safety and performance of a vehicle. An incorrect spring rate can lead to poor handling, excessive tire wear, and even damage to other components of the suspension system. It is also important for achieving the desired ride quality and meeting any regulatory standards for vehicle safety.