How Far Can I Hike Up a Mountain After a 500 Calorie Lunch?

In summary, the conversation discusses the conversion of chemical energy to gravitational potential energy and its efficiency. The speaker is trying to determine how far they can hike up a mountain after consuming a 500 calorie lunch, assuming a 50% efficiency rate. They calculate the height they can reach and convert it to miles, obtaining a value of approximately 0.5 miles. Additionally, they mention a 250-calorie snack containing 1x10^6 J, prompting a discussion on relevant equations for potential energy.
layla2525

Homework Statement

I am 65 kg and eat a 500 Calorie lunch and go hiking up a mountain afterwards. Assuming that chemical energy is converted to gravitational potential energy with 50% efficiency, approximately how many miles up the mountain can I go before I need my dinner?

0.5 miles

1 mile

2 miles

3 miles

4 miles

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I solved for height by (2.0 x 10^(6))/ (65kg)(9.8)
which gave me 301538.4615, and then dived it by 2 because of the efficiency and got 1569.8587, now how can i convert into miles?

Physics news on Phys.org
250-Calorie* snack, which contains 1x10^6 J

layla2525 said:
250-Calorie* snack, which contains 1x10^6 J

Close yes but 250 calories is not a lot. It's likely that kilo-calories is intended.
What is a relevant equation for potential energy (in units?)

Last edited:
I got 1569 for my efficiency What do I do after I get the Efficiency ?

First, I would like to clarify that the efficiency of converting chemical energy to gravitational potential energy is not always 50%. It can vary depending on the efficiency of the body's metabolism and the type of food consumed.

To convert the height from meters to miles, you can use the conversion factor 1 meter = 0.000621371 miles. This gives a result of approximately 0.98 miles. Therefore, you can go approximately 1 mile up the mountain before needing your dinner.

Another way to approach this problem is by using the formula for gravitational potential energy: PE = mgh, where m is the mass, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2), and h is the height.

First, we need to calculate the total energy from the lunch, which is 500 Calories or 500,000 calories. Converting this to joules, we get: 500,000 x 4.184 = 2,092,000 J.

Since the efficiency is 50%, we can calculate the gravitational potential energy as: PE = 0.5 x 2,092,000 J = 1,046,000 J.

Using the same formula as before, we can solve for h: h = PE/(mg) = 1,046,000 J / (65kg x 9.8 m/s^2) = 1,591.42 m.

Converting this to miles, we get approximately 0.99 miles. This is consistent with our previous calculation.

Therefore, you can go approximately 1 mile up the mountain before needing your dinner. Keep in mind that this is an estimate and may vary depending on individual factors.

1. What is gravitational energy?

Gravitational energy is the potential energy that an object possesses due to its position in a gravitational field. It is a form of energy that depends on the mass and distance between two objects.

2. How is gravitational energy calculated?

The formula for calculating gravitational energy is Gm1m2/r, where G is the gravitational constant, m1 and m2 are the masses of the two objects, and r is the distance between them.

3. What is the relationship between gravitational energy and gravitational potential?

Gravitational potential is the amount of energy per unit mass that is required to move an object from a reference point to a certain position in a gravitational field. Gravitational energy is the total potential energy that an object possesses due to its position in a gravitational field.

4. How does gravitational energy affect the motion of objects?

Gravitational energy is a type of potential energy, so it does not directly affect the motion of objects. However, it can be converted into kinetic energy when an object is in free fall or when two objects are attracted to each other due to gravity.

5. Can gravitational energy be harnessed as a source of energy?

While gravitational energy is a powerful force, it is not currently harnessed as a source of energy. However, some scientists are researching ways to potentially use gravitational energy in the future, such as through the use of gravitational waves or harnessing the energy of objects orbiting around a central body.