Computer brush fan as dc generator

In summary, the conversation is about using a computer brush fan as a DC generator for a renewable energy project. The person is having trouble getting the fan to provide enough voltage for their amplifier circuit and is wondering if the output of the fan is DC or AC. The response is that the fan does provide DC output, but the problem is likely due to lack of amperage. The person is then advised to check the amperage and open circuit voltage of the fan.

Output

• dc

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • ac

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
praga_deesan
Sir,
I am using renewable soℝurces like wind for my project..
I need to supply 1.5 to 2 v dc to my amplifier circuit and then to load...
I am using computer brush fan as source ...it just gave output upto 2.5v in ideal state when i connected to multimeter in dc mode...but when i give the output of the comp fan to my circuit..it is not working/..

note: My circuit is working well when i gave 1.5v dc supply thru DCRPS..

Please let me know whether the out of computer brush fan is dc or ac...
if dc .,what is the mistake in it..
if AC, then,what will be the design of bridge rectifier..

Engineering news on Phys.org

It is DC. The problem is almost certainly lack of amperage. Have you checked how much can be supplied vs what you need?

Thank you sir,
will amperage vary from 1.5v dc battery to 2v generator..

Last edited by a moderator:

praga_deesan said:
will amperage vary from 1.5v dc battery to 2v generator..
Yes.

Also open circuit voltage you read with your meter will naturally be higher than the voltage measured when there is a load on that generator

Dave

praga_deesan said:
Sir,
I am using renewable soℝurces like wind for my project..
I need to supply 1.5 to 2 v dc to my amplifier circuit and then to load...
I am using computer brush fan as source ...it just gave output upto 2.5v in ideal state when i connected to multimeter in dc mode...but when i give the output of the comp fan to my circuit..it is not working/..

note: My circuit is working well when i gave 1.5v dc supply thru DCRPS..

Please let me know whether the out of computer brush fan is dc or ac...
if dc .,what is the mistake in it..
if AC, then,what will be the design of bridge rectifier..

Welcome to the PF.

Poll threads are generally not allowed in the technical PF forums. It looks like you have received good answers to your question. If you have further questions, please start a new thread, and please do not make it a poll thread. Thank you.

1. How does a computer brush fan work as a DC generator?

A computer brush fan works as a DC generator by utilizing electromagnetic induction. When the fan blades spin, they rotate a magnet inside the fan's motor, creating a fluctuating magnetic field. This magnetic field then induces an electric current in the fan's coils, generating DC electricity.

2. What are the advantages of using a computer brush fan as a DC generator?

There are several advantages of using a computer brush fan as a DC generator. One is that it is a cost-effective and efficient way to generate electricity. Additionally, the fan can be easily replaced or repaired if it malfunctions. It also produces a constant and steady supply of DC electricity.

3. What are the potential applications of a computer brush fan as a DC generator?

A computer brush fan can be used in various applications as a DC generator. It can be used in small wind turbines to generate electricity, in hand-cranked generators for emergency power, or in DIY projects such as powering small electronic devices.

4. Is it possible to increase the output of a computer brush fan as a DC generator?

Yes, it is possible to increase the output of a computer brush fan as a DC generator by connecting multiple fans in series or parallel. This will increase the amount of electricity generated, but it is important to ensure that the fan's motor can handle the increased load.

5. Are there any limitations to using a computer brush fan as a DC generator?

One limitation of using a computer brush fan as a DC generator is that it produces low voltage and current compared to other generators. This makes it more suitable for low-power applications rather than high-power ones. Additionally, the fan must be spun at a certain speed to produce electricity, so it may not be suitable for all environments or situations.