Can you become a software developer with an EEE degee?

In summary, the conversation discusses the potential for becoming a beginner software developer with or without an EEE degree. The answer is yes, it is possible to become a software developer without a degree, but it depends on various factors such as experience, projects worked on, and team collaboration. The speakers also touch on the importance of programming skills and the potential limitations without a degree.
Delpo
I'm aware that the answer is probably yes but if so would you need to spend a lot of time catching up or is the programming you learn in an EEE degree enough to place with a good stead for a job as a beginner software developer?

Would it limit you from certain roles?

Physics news on Phys.org
How much programming did you learn? What sorts of things did you use it for? Could you plan out how to develop a software project? What languages are you familiar with? What libraries or toolsets have you used? What projects have you done?

You can be a software developer without any degree. I know at least two such cases personally, and both guys involved are reasonably successful (in terms of money earned, compared to their peers). To be precise they both do have some undergraduate level studies done, but they never graduated - and neither of them studied computer sciences.

So the answer is yes, it is possible. But it depends on many factors.

Hey Delpo and welcome to the forums.

How much experience do you have? What projects have you worked on? What team projects did you work on?

Yes.

1. Can I become a software developer with an EEE degree?

Yes, you can definitely become a software developer with an EEE (Electrical and Electronics Engineering) degree. While your degree may not directly focus on software development, the skills and knowledge gained through your EEE degree can be very helpful in the field of software development.

2. Will my EEE degree be enough to get a job as a software developer?

While having an EEE degree can definitely help you get a job as a software developer, it may not be enough on its own. Employers may also look for additional skills and experience, such as programming languages and software development projects, when hiring for software development positions.

3. Do I need to have a computer science degree to become a software developer?

No, you do not necessarily need to have a computer science degree to become a software developer. Many successful software developers come from various backgrounds, including engineering, mathematics, and even self-taught individuals. However, having a solid understanding of computer science principles and programming languages can be beneficial.

4. Can I learn software development skills while pursuing my EEE degree?

Yes, you can definitely learn software development skills while pursuing your EEE degree. Many universities offer elective courses or specializations in software engineering or computer science that can help you gain the necessary skills and knowledge for a career in software development.

5. What are some important skills for a software developer with an EEE degree?

Some important skills for a software developer with an EEE degree include programming languages such as Java, C++, and Python, as well as knowledge of software development tools and methodologies. Strong problem-solving, analytical, and critical thinking skills are also important in the field of software development.