Can Protons Pass Through the Brain?

In summary, there was a previous discussion about the dangers of radiation and a video was shared about a man who accidentally stuck his head in a particle accelerator. The man's face was left with one side aged normally and the other side frozen in time. Some people joked about wanting to experience this bizarre side effect, but it is still a serious matter to be respected.
OmCheeto
Gold Member
I see this has already been discussed, so I'll go away now.

-------------------------
ps. Someone remind me to read this on Monday.

Wow!

Physics news on Phys.org
OmCheeto said:

Wow!

That's one way to get a positive charge.

Last edited:
OmCheeto said:

Wow!
Remind you so that you don't attempt this at home - or anywhere else.

Back in the day, we used to joke about light emitting gonads. I had to do with standing astride particle accelerators.

Actually, so folks used to 'sight' beams. The eventually developed cataracts.

Radiation is harmful to the body. Radiation should be respected for what it is.

Humans are 'low energy' life forms. We live in a very narrow band of tolerances with respect to temperature, water and oxygen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NMqPT6oKJ8

The most bizarre side effect that occurred has to do with his face. Looking at Bugorski now, you’d see the right half of his face looks like a normal wrinkled old man, but the left half of his face looks as if it was frozen in time decades ago. Apparently Botox has got nothing on a particle accelerator’s proton beam for stopping wrinkles.
I would've expected a bunch of random people voluntarily stick their heads into a running particle accelerator by now

I expected him to turn into Dr Manhattan. That would've been cool.

1. What are protons through the brain?

Protons through the brain refers to a type of radiation therapy where high-energy protons are targeted at a specific area of the brain to treat tumors or other conditions.

2. How does proton therapy differ from traditional radiation therapy?

Traditional radiation therapy uses X-rays, which pass through the body and can damage healthy tissue along with the targeted area. Proton therapy, on the other hand, delivers a higher dose of radiation directly to the tumor with minimal damage to surrounding tissue.

3. What are the potential benefits of using protons through the brain?

Proton therapy has been shown to potentially have fewer side effects compared to traditional radiation therapy, as it can more precisely target the tumor without damaging nearby healthy tissue. It may also be more effective in treating certain types of brain tumors.

4. Is proton therapy safe for the brain?

Proton therapy is generally considered safe for the brain when performed by trained professionals. However, as with any medical procedure, there are potential risks and side effects, and it is important to discuss these with your doctor before undergoing treatment.

5. How is proton therapy for the brain administered?

Proton therapy is typically administered using a machine called a cyclotron, which accelerates protons to high speeds and directs them at the targeted area of the brain. The procedure is non-invasive and usually requires multiple sessions over the course of several weeks.