Math grad schools: requirements, information?

In summary, the conversation involves someone considering going to grad school for either economics or math. They mention finding helpful information online for economics grad schools, but not for math grad schools. They ask for direction to find this information and are given a link to a website with information on math major requirements. Someone else credits Ted Shifrin for writing the information.
philosophking
Hi everyone.

I'm considering going to grad school for either economics or math. When researching economics grad schools online (at the big ivy leagues) I find pertinent information about what they look for on your transcript, specifically what classes to take as an undergraduate, etc. I find none of this type of information on websites for math graduate school. I was wondering if anyone could direct me towards information on this. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
http://www.math.uga.edu/~curr/Major.html#anchormajorreq

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, that was very informative. Thanks!

my pleasure. credit is due to Ted Shifrin, in all likelihood, who most probably wrote it.

1. What are the general requirements for admission to a math graduate program?

The specific requirements for admission to a math graduate program may vary depending on the institution, but some common requirements include a bachelor's degree in mathematics or a related field, letters of recommendation, GRE scores, and a strong background in mathematics courses such as calculus, linear algebra, and abstract algebra.

2. Are there any specific prerequisites or recommended courses for a math graduate program?

Most math graduate programs will have a list of prerequisite courses that must be completed before admission. These courses may include advanced calculus, differential equations, and real analysis. In addition, it is often recommended to have taken courses in areas such as abstract algebra, topology, and number theory to have a strong foundation in different areas of mathematics.

3. How important are GRE scores for admission to a math graduate program?

GRE scores are typically an important factor in the admissions process for math graduate programs. However, they are not the only factor considered. A strong academic background and letters of recommendation can also play a significant role in the admissions decision.

4. What types of research opportunities are available in math graduate programs?

Math graduate programs often offer a variety of research opportunities, including working with professors on their projects, participating in independent research, and collaborating with other graduate students. Some programs may also have partnerships with industry or government organizations for research opportunities outside of the university.

5. Are there any differences between a master's and a PhD program in math?

While both master's and PhD programs in math involve advanced coursework and research, there are some key differences. A PhD program typically requires a longer duration of study and a more in-depth research project, while a master's program may focus more on coursework and may not require a thesis. Additionally, a PhD in math is often necessary for pursuing a career in academia or research, while a master's degree may be sufficient for other careers in industry or government.