Array of magnets around a sphere

In summary, the conversation discusses the distribution of an array of N magnets on a spherical surface and the configuration of equilibrium of the system. The speaker questions the level of uniformity and the exact locations of the magnets in order to get quantitative results. Another participant mentions the use of simulation software and references previous work on studying the Ising model on curved surfaces. The speaker also clarifies that N discrete magnets cannot be in a uniform distribution and requests more specific information for numerical solutions.
intervoxel
An array of N magnets which can turn freely about their centers in any direction in 3d space is distributed uniformly around a spherical surface (their centers). What is the configuration of equilibrium of the system after some time? (minimum energy)

Do you know of any work showing that?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
How much 'uniformly' do you mean? You know, N discrete magnets cannot be in a uniform distribution.

What are the exact locations of the magnets? To get quantitative result, we need more specific information than just that they are on a sphere. I think I can get some numerical solutions once I have an idea about the initial conditions.

It's not possible to make a spherical magnet with one pole inside and the other outside. If you try you won't get the result you might hope for.

Likes 1 person
This post refers to simulation software that can be used to study the Ising model on curved surfaces:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=409671

This work treats 'sphere-like' lattices, such as a pillow-shaped one and a cube projected onto a sphere:

http://arxiv.org/pdf/hep-lat/9602025.pdf

Is this the kind of work you are looking for?

Likes 1 person
j824h said:
How much 'uniformly' do you mean? You know, N discrete magnets cannot be in a uniform distribution.

What are the exact locations of the magnets? To get quantitative result, we need more specific information than just that they are on a sphere. I think I can get some numerical solutions once I have an idea about the initial conditions.

Thanks for your reply, j824h. I was thinking of points belonging to a cubic lattice nearest to a spherical surface of integer radius.

Last edited:

1. What is an array of magnets around a sphere?

An array of magnets around a sphere is a collection of individual magnets arranged in a specific pattern around a spherical object. This type of arrangement is often used in scientific experiments and can have various applications in technology.

2. How does an array of magnets around a sphere work?

An array of magnets around a sphere works by creating a magnetic field around the spherical object. The individual magnets are strategically placed to produce a specific pattern of magnetic forces, which can be used to manipulate or control the motion of the sphere.

3. What are the benefits of using an array of magnets around a sphere?

There are several benefits to using an array of magnets around a sphere, including the ability to control the motion of the sphere, the potential for energy generation, and the potential for use in medical treatments such as targeted drug delivery.

4. Can an array of magnets around a sphere be used for levitation?

Yes, an array of magnets around a sphere can be used for levitation. By manipulating the magnetic fields, it is possible to create a repulsive force that can levitate the sphere above the magnets. This principle is used in maglev trains and other levitation technologies.

5. Are there any potential drawbacks or limitations to using an array of magnets around a sphere?

One potential drawback of using an array of magnets around a sphere is the complexity and precision required in arranging the individual magnets. Additionally, the strength and durability of the magnets can also impact the effectiveness of the array. There may also be limitations in terms of the size and weight of the sphere that can be controlled by the array of magnets.