Understanding Mechanical Work: Ideal Gas and Fixed Pressure

In summary, Chet's blog explains how to determine PV from dT using the ideal gas law. However, P could be constant or vary during the process, so PV cannot be determined without knowing how P varies.
theory.beta
Hi all,

I was wondering if I am having a definition problem on mechanical work.
Since dW = -PdV (as I was told in class), is it correct to say the pressure is fixed with W = -PV, since dW = d(PV) = -VdP - PdV = -PdV suggests dP = 0?

Thanks

S.

Physics news on Phys.org
No, it is not correct. dW is misleading notation. It suggests that dW is an infinitesimal change in some quantity, W, which the system possesses (a so-called 'function of state'). This is not the case. [For the same reason, dQ is also misleading notation, suggesting, wrongly, that some quantity, Q, is possessed by the system.] Work and heat are both energy IN TRANSIT, rather than residing in the system.

PV is a function of state (because P and V are both functions of state), but it is a mistake to regard dW as a differential of pV (or -PV).

Hi Philip,

Thank you for the reply. However, I still think P is fixed in general, leading W = PV. Let's look at an integral form of ideal gas law. In essence, we have dT = (PdV+VdP)/R; integrating this would give the ideal gas law. But the actual integrated solution as PV = nRT implies either dV or dP to be zero.
Another example would be the heat function in a system of fixed volume, where Q = W = E +PV (Landau textbook chapter 2, the W is a little confusing). He took the derivative of W into dP and dV separately.
Any thoughts? Thanks again.

S.

The differential work done by the gas on the surroundings is dW=PdV, not dW=-PdV. Even if the pressure isn't constant, the differential work is still PdV. This comes from dW=Fdl, where F is the force and dl is the differential displacement. Since F = PA, dW = PAdl. But Adl = dV. So dW = PdV. See my Blog on my PF personal page.

Chet

theory.beta said:
Hi Philip,

Thank you for the reply. However, I still think P is fixed in general, leading W = PV. Let's look at an integral form of ideal gas law. In essence, we have dT = (PdV+VdP)/R; integrating this would give the ideal gas law. But the actual integrated solution as PV = nRT implies either dV or dP to be zero.
The integral of dT is not PV unless you start from absolute 0.

[tex]nRΔT = nR\int_A^B dT = \int_A^B (Pdv + VdP) = \int_A^B d(PV) = P(B)V(B)-P(A)V(A) = ΔPV[/tex]

P could be constant in which case nRΔT = PΔV (i.e. ∫VdP = 0). Or V could be constant, in which case nRΔT = VΔP. Or P and V could both change. One cannot determine [itex]\int Pdv[/itex] or [itex]\int VdP[/itex] separately for a given process without knowing how P or V varies during the process. But from the ideal gas law, PV = nRT, we know that d(PV) = nRdT

AM

theory.beta said:
I still think P is fixed in general, leading W = PV.

Two of the best known ideal cases (but good approximations to real changes) are isothermal and adiabatic expansions. P varies in both of these.

When P is constant, then W = P ΔV, not PV.

1. What is work done by an ideal gas?

The work done by an ideal gas is the energy transferred to or from the gas due to a change in its volume. This change in volume can be caused by an external force or by the gas expanding or compressing on its own.

2. How is work done by an ideal gas calculated?

The work done by an ideal gas can be calculated using the equation W = PΔV, where W is the work done, P is the pressure of the gas, and ΔV is the change in volume. This equation is derived from the ideal gas law, PV = nRT, where n is the number of moles of gas, R is the gas constant, and T is the temperature.

3. What is the relationship between work done by an ideal gas and its pressure?

The work done by an ideal gas is directly proportional to its pressure. This means that as the pressure of the gas increases, the work done also increases. This relationship is represented by the equation W ∝ P.

4. Can the work done by an ideal gas be negative?

Yes, the work done by an ideal gas can be negative. This occurs when the gas is compressed and its volume decreases. In this case, the work done is considered to be negative because the gas is losing energy.

5. What are some real-life applications of work done by ideal gas?

The concept of work done by ideal gas is used in various applications such as internal combustion engines, refrigeration systems, and gas turbines. It is also important in understanding the behavior of gases in everyday situations, such as inflating a balloon or using a pressure cooker.